Notices

Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO

Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My boat has a small leak somewhere in the area of the extension box that I've been chasing for three freakin' years. I've replaced the bellows and siliconed everything I can get my hands on in there and still can't find it. Anyway, even though the float switch on my port side bilge kicks every 45 minutes or so (and I'm running with a constant puddle in my boat about 2 inches deep), I make sure I'm plugged in EVERYWHERE I go overnight...it helps me sleep. Oh, and I've got one cranking battery and one deep cycle...plus a jump pack.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I left my old boat in the water overnight every night I took it out. Check the bildge before I leave it. It helps to have a nice view of the boat and a pair of binoculars just to make sure every couple of hours.

IMO a good boat should be able to be left in the water overnight or over a couple of nights without any leaks or very minimul. It could be a $200-300K fountain or cig, but if she don't float overnight then its still a POS to me.........
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Sommer , did you check the small bellows on the drive shift cable ? Before push it on the transom assy and tighten the clamp , you should put some contact cement around the fittting . Also the other end the crimping band needs to be checked or better , replaced with a s/s clamp . Two inches of water in the bilge is some serious leak !
Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered

I was going to post the link, but now I see MM beat me to it

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 08-28-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A trip engine 42 Fountain does not need to take in a lot of water or weight in the stern before big problems start. That's a lot of weight in a somewhat shallow transom.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

bobonthis (Matt) from here on OSO was on the boat this weekend with a buddy. Lamar was the owner's name.

He started a thread about it in the E-dock forum a day or two ago. You can get all the details you want there.

As for the speculation as to the cause, it's my understanding that the pumps were working correctly. Let's show some compassion.

Buck
Old 08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Registered

Wink

Originally Posted by buck183
As for the speculation as to the cause, it's my understanding that the pumps were working correctly. Let's show some compassion.

Buck

We had this boat sank during a freak storm ,taking water over the transom a few years ago . Now it sits on its lift all the time . You have compassion from me !

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered

As you can see the boat is very low in the transom area even dry. As to what the cause is, we still don't know. We have checked the obvious as far as bellows, hoses off or lose, but without actually dipping it back in the water again we don't see anything that may have done this. Another thing that it may have been is taking on water where the rub rail is. These are things we cannot rule out until we get her back on the water. We have pickeled the motors done all the neccessary steps to salvage everything and the boat is ok. Everything else was in working order...bilge pumps...batteries etc....It is very possible that the batteries just lost their juice...the boat was in party cove all day and things were being used...and its not a very far trip back to the condo. I don't believe though that with the amount of water the boat apparently took in and with it being that heavy in the rear that the bilges would of kept up anyways. This we will not know. All we can do is upgrade the bilge pumps also or add. As soon as I find out what the problem is I will be sure to let everyone know so that this won't happen to anyone else and to just let everyone know. Also yes we did all of a sudden lose power in the port motor when we first dipped the boat and all that was, was the circuit breaker tripped on the ignition..
Attached Thumbnails Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO-tmp5.jpg  
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Registered

your bilge pump out exhausts are almost underwater in above pic.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Registered

Sad but atleast you all are ok! Keep us posted thanks

Quick Reply: Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.