Like Tree0Likes

Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO

Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 34 Fountain trip 300's

Just a note, I heard about this a while back: If anyone has issues of major water entering the boat and they have sea strainers, I heard you can remove the strainer lids and run the motors (cautiously) and the sea water pump will act as a bilge pump pumping the incoming water out while cooling the motors!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by THLWL View Post
Just a note, I heard about this a while back: If anyone has issues of major water entering the boat and they have sea strainers, I heard you can remove the strainer lids and run the motors (cautiously) and the sea water pump will act as a bilge pump pumping the incoming water out while cooling the motors!
A somewhat well known fail safe is to isntall a valve on the inlet line for the seawater pump that will allow you to switch the intake to a hose that runs into the bilge. If you have a big problem, you can then use your seawater pump as a bilge pump. At the point that this would become necessary, though, i'm thinking that "cautiously" is out the window and the RPMs are going to come up until the boat stops sinking or the motor stops running.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Registered

Been a while since Ive seen the boat up close, does it have those beer can sized vents in the corners of the transom?

If so those vents have sank more than a few twin engine Fountains.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

I have seen a lot of guys that get nervous about leaving their boat over night. If you are that nervous then they have special sump pumps for homes for when there is a power outage. You hook your city water up to it and it will pump water out of your sump when the power is out. May be easy to retro so that you can drop it in your bilge and hook up to the docks water so you can sleep better at night.

Jon
Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Registered

My Boats: 27 monza, eggbeaters, no seats

i was just wondering what was parked next to the boat,my marina closes at 5 o clock,if you come in after you have to raft up to another boat,and leave till morning,tied up to a friends 27 whaler,rained pretty hard and his bilge kicked all the water in my boat,shorted the batts and almost sank it,i got lucky ,almost a hard lesson.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Banned

I was looking for cashbar to be sitting on the bow of the boat while it was sticking up
Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

My Boats: 2000 36 OUTLAW SOLD SHOPPING

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerfliesby View Post
My boat has a small leak somewhere in the area of the extension box that I've been chasing for three freakin' years. I've replaced the bellows and siliconed everything I can get my hands on in there and still can't find it. Anyway, even though the float switch on my port side bilge kicks every 45 minutes or so (and I'm running with a constant puddle in my boat about 2 inches deep), I make sure I'm plugged in EVERYWHERE I go overnight...it helps me sleep. Oh, and I've got one cranking battery and one deep cycle...plus a jump pack.

I told ya where its comimg from !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
I have seen a lot of guys that get nervous about leaving their boat over night. If you are that nervous then they have special sump pumps for homes for when there is a power outage. You hook your city water up to it and it will pump water out of your sump when the power is out. May be easy to retro so that you can drop it in your bilge and hook up to the docks water so you can sleep better at night.

Jon
My neighbor has one of those. It's a Rule bilge pump with a deep-cycle and a trickle charger. Our power went out the other day during a big rainstorm and their sump overflowed into the basement- their emergency backup failed! I had to run my generator up to them so they could stay dry.

Somedays, wearing a belt AND suspenders doesn't even work.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THLWL View Post
It does work. You have to have shutoffs on your water intakes though. Otherwise, you'll take on water from your thru-hulls as fast as you're bailing.

BOATING and some of the other cruiser magazines are full of articles with stuff like this. The performance boat community pretty much ignores these types of yachtsmanship skills. These cruiser guys have it together. I suppose part of that is the mentality that you're far out and help may be way off.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered

Just curious. Looking at the pic, is that dot near the transom at the water line the outlet of the bilge pump?
The wave action at the 19MM could probably slosh enough water back into the bilge pump outlet to overhelm it. Especially if it's that low and an adequate riser loop in the pump hose was not used.