Notices

Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO

Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Yeppers! I see this problem (water in the bilge, but from where?) come up every so often in the Fountain forum. Both my 27 and 32 leaked water at that rear joint. The 32 was more evident because the rub rail is in the water. Removed the rubrail, sealed the hull/deck joint with 5200. Dry as a bone now. Mine leaked sevaral gals an hr before I sealed it. The rest of the joint is FG'd from the inside making it water tight, but do to the swim platform, that joint is unaccessable from the inside, so Fountain uses a sealer on the outside. Problem is, they are very scarce in using the sealer.

Also, the bilge pump discharge thru hulls are right at the water level. Mine are looped to prevent water from rentering from the lakeside. That is an area to be looked at to make sure the loops are as high as possible.

And finally, the rear blower vents holes........
They are misleading. Those aren't just holes going into the bilge at near water level. They are tubes that go upwards right along the bottom of the gunwhale well above the water level. In fact, I'd have water entering the engine compartment from the hatch opening before water would be high enough to come up those vent tubes at enter the bilge.

On this particular sinking, I'd look close at the rub rail joint 1st providing all hoses and mechanicals are fine.
Just my thoughts.

I guess that means the hull and deck are not glassed together or water could not pass by the rub rail.

Shame on Fountain.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ONLY along the very back and forwards approx 1 1/2'. (swim platform depth) I doubt any other boat brand would be able to glass that area either. It's simply unaccessable.
But yes, shame on Fountain for not sealing that joint fully. Basically, if it's not 100% sealed, (from either inside or out) it ain't sealed. And both mine weren't sealed 100%. Just slows the water leaks down. Good thing is, it's an easy $5 cure......by us owners.
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleStuff
I guess that means the hull and deck are not glassed together or water could not pass by the rub rail.

Shame on Fountain.
Thats correct. Fountain hulls and decks are bound together 5 ways. Bolts, sealant, screws and some other crap I can't remember. Been a while since I did a sales pitch

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shame on Fountain.
If you took the time, you'd find more than a few photos on this site of Fountains with joint separations in the back. I believe the recent one involving the child fatality was one.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Registered

Shame on Fountain.
Hull and deck are glassed together everywhere except inside the swim platform. There is no access inside the swim platform to glass from the inside. if water gets in the swim platform it drains into the bilge through two limber holes in the transom.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F-N-iGuy.com
Thats correct. Fountain hulls and decks are bound together 5 ways. Bolts, sealant, screws and some other crap I can't remember. Been a while since I did a sales pitch

That'd be Fiberglass.

Here's a shot of mine. Visable is the fiberglassed joint, and a couple thru bolts. The other screws are the rubrail fastening screws.

Any boat can split at a glassed seam if hit hard enough.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Matt, could the boat just have been hit by some big ass waves in the dock?
Nope, it was in a nice protected dock...The waves were definatly not big enough to come over the back. We will be looking at the rub rail tomorrow and seeing what it looks like. I don't know if that would be enough to sink the boat, but I guess it could of...The boat was in Friday night without any problems though...still leads me to believe there is a loose hose somewhere that I cannot find until the boat is back in the water.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was probably just condensation buildup.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Registered

I have heard of fountains taking on water from coming off of plane too quick. I'm thinking this is more of a problem on 32's (or a triple 42), I know i've cut my ignition at speed and not had a problem in my 27.

But has anyone tried to seal up around the sun pad with weather stripping or something?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

OMG......so sorry to hear!!.....just brutal!!!

will it need a new interior??

Quick Reply: Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.