Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   INFO on Banks Twin Turbo BBC (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/167574-info-banks-twin-turbo-bbc.html)

Bad Girl 08-30-2007 10:23 AM

INFO on Banks Twin Turbo BBC

I have a pair of Galr bank twin turbo intakes , carbs and the turbo mounts. anyone have more info when these were popular and if anyone has parts to make original motors. I have one pair of valve covers with the Merc decal saying they are 475hp. Any literature or Merc books out there??

thanks for any help finding this stuff. I can either build a pair of these motors if I can find the turbos and exhaust parts or modify to make something else. prefer to have all originals.

thanks, Ken

Racegirl3 08-30-2007 11:06 AM

No info for ya but are you guys comin over to Kelleys Island this weekend? :D

Bad Girl 08-30-2007 11:14 AM

Kelleys

Yes, we will go over Friday and start practicing for the 'BAR CRAWL'!
Also, maybe the bay if I can call in a favor at Foxes dock.
I 'm getting a set of props blueprinted this week and supposed to have them by Friday morning. without wheels I not going anywhere! Maybe you can go for a ride if we get time? maybe a a sea trial before you get you own race team???!!!
DOG (Ken)
When you heading over??

Racegirl3 08-30-2007 11:22 AM

Ill be there Saturday ... somewhere around noon. :cool: Ill have Lucididee with me and a few others. We need to get her to PIB for the "experience" :D A ride maybe a possibility this weekend ... that would be cool. Thanks Ken!! :cool-smiley-011:

phughes69 08-30-2007 01:33 PM

Bad Girl, do you have any pictures of the intakes, turbos, or any of the other stuff. The Gale Banks turbo was factory installed on my Scarab. I have the original Mercruiser owners manual for it.

TomFTM 08-30-2007 08:18 PM

Those motors were produced by merc hi perf. around 1985-86. They
were 454's with log style exhaust manifolds with water cooled turbo housings . , no innercooler They did not have waste gates in the housing , they used a bleed of hole to bleed the boost . We rebuilt one of these and put it in my 24 superboat back in the early 90's. I had turbonectics in CA build me stainless turbo housings . after the orignals rotted out. We made the bleed off hole smaller ,hense we ran about 12lbs of boost. I think
stock boost was about 7lbs. Tom

phughes69 08-31-2007 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by TomFTM (Post 2254778)
they used a bleed of hole to bleed the boost . We rebuilt one of these and put it in my 24 superboat back in the early 90's. I had turbonectics in CA build me stainless turbo housings . after the orignals rotted out. We made the bleed off hole smaller ,hense we ran about 12lbs of boost. I think
stock boost was about 7lbs. Tom

Tom where in the housing is the bleed hole? I have this setup on my boat and the previous owner put wastergates on it. He said it can make about 12 lbs of boost, but last time I had the boat out I was not watching to see how much boost it was making, plus I was not at full throttle

Turbojack 08-31-2007 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by phughes69 (Post 2255194)
Tom where in the housing is the bleed hole? I have this setup on my boat and the previous owner put wastergates on it. He said it can make about 12 lbs of boost, but last time I had the boat out I was not watching to see how much boost it was making, plus I was not at full throttle

The hole is in the bottom to bypass some exhast. If the turbo was a 301e if the hole was 3/8" boost was 12 lbs. With waste gates the max boost is set by the wastegate since the wastegate is what is bypassing the exhaust. The hole in the turbo housing was in place of a wastegate.