Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ? >

Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Notices

Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Old 01-28-2002, 03:46 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet you won't see Reggie in an open race boat now that he has personally experienced how easily and quicky a V bottom with steps can spin and roll.

Swimming in Key West sucks.

I bet this same exact debate took place about seat belt in 1930. Indy cars back then didn't even have seat belts, then came roll cages, etc etc. Offshore will get there, we have the technology, just not the money.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Offshore Addiction

Lightbulb

Don't compare Nascar racing to Offshore Racing. Nascar racing would be a little more interesting if they had speed bumps, like Offshore Boat Racing has wakes and other obstacles.

Old 01-28-2002, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
I would love to be in a canopy boat but its not going to happen on my budget.The resale value sucks which means I would have to buy a used hull.Used hull's normally dont win races or they wouldnt be for sale in my price range.New tec. is the best way to win with a good team. That put me out, and I'm not in it just for fun.I dont think the 496 would be that much slower to realy make a differance in F-1.
I also feel in controll of are boat when we race.I would rather stay level for a hole race than over trimed and winning for a short period before you splash.Consistance is how you win and that is a product of controll.
Randy
Old 01-28-2002, 06:38 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Randy may be right about the 496HO not being that much slower, but anything is worth investigating. The HP500 is actually 470 at the prop, and the 496 is prop-rated at 425. (Hmmmm - seems like a LOT of money for 45 hp, doesn't it?) Taking 10% of the power away will probably only reduce boat speeds by about 5-6 mph, but slower speeds = less energy at impact. Besides, engines will then be lots, lots cheaper, especially if GM supports the move. If Mercury was really "supporting" Factory class racers, they'd give everybody a $500 rebate per engine for every race they ran and replace blown drives at cost, wouldn't they?

Sorry, getting a bit OT here, but I still think power will have to be reduced sooner or later. It's happened everywhere else.

The standardized "canopied capsule" concept is the only way to go if canopies are allowed, in which case they should be mandated and not optional.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that the canopies are the way to go, but since most teams (other than the few factory financed guys) are footing the bill out of there own pocket it will be hard to tell them, or expect them to through out their investment and go buy new stuff tomorrow. Even if a canopied boat isn't any faster how many teams would not show up because they thought they'd be at a disadvantage.
I think that APBA has made some great strives in the last year, give them some time to help the sport to grow to the point of getting some other sponsor dollars involved and we'll all see what happens.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:17 PM
Registered

For those of you "would be" racers but for fear of being drained of all your cash by buying into a canopied boat, you need to check it out before you say it will cost too much.

There are canopied builders out there that can get you into a single engined stripped out new hull for in the 50-55K range. Then of course you will need to rig and power it. If you need a trailer that will be extra. This is what the APBA is trying to do with Super Vee Lite. "Making it Affordable and competitive. Race boats do not have all the frills and trim that add cost to factory recreational hulls.

Rigging and powerering is half the fun and there are plenty out there who you can ask for guidance.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Registered

Sounds nice but I dont think you'll get in SVL race ready in a new boat for under $100,000.00 now if you piece something together maybe but I doubt it will be competive.It will be interesting to see the speed differance between F-1 and SVL.What is the expeted speed in a best case SVL?Has any one got real numbers.I would say Steve Mic would know.
Randy
Old 01-28-2002, 08:05 PM
Registered

I worked with Steve Miklos and his SVL boat this past season. There is no doubt in my mind that an 88 - 92 MPH capable boat can be competitive. It depends more on the race day setup and driver skill than most realize. The SVL class rules with sealed engines will help drive parity and place more emphasis on the finess of the setup and crew skills.

As for the 100K budget number being realistic I'm sure that you can be racing and have money left over for the first post race celebration if you are willing and capable of doing the rigging yourself.

Mark Skrzypek
Old 01-29-2002, 08:27 AM
Registered

To slow down factory you either need weight or smaller engines.What smaller motors are avalable with great reliabilty? You would have to go to a small block and I dont see anyone agreeing with that.Also what does everyone think is a safer speed in factory-1? Its easyer to fix if you know what kind of speed your target is.
Randy
Old 01-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Registered

Placing a canopy on a F1 or F2 boat will reck the class. It's not about safety what so ever. Right now APBA is selling the F2 class as the 'NASCAR' of the water. American's, now matter how slight, like to believe that they too own the same thing as the racers do. You see it in ALL facets of racing here in the states. Most racers see through a racers eyes when it comes to what they think the class should be...They toss out demographics and pay to race. I know all of us racers and or enthusiast love to see that big power and no rule classes....but that does not pay the bills!I've been a pro at at few things now....and being a pro to me is having someone else pay the bills. So, my decisions are always going to be based off of promoting what i'm doing and then SELLING it. Some may say I race for me! Which I do....But, for me I wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the fans. Race in another class if you don't like the class. Don't change the class that's bringing offshore racing more into the mainstream and into more households with increased exposure!!!

Quick Reply: Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.