Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ? >

Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Notices

Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Old 01-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

There are some people out there saying that F-1, & F-2 need to be covered what are your thoughts ?

Here's my opinion. I think factory racing in general (weather it's bikes, cars, snowmobiles, or boats) is a way for the manufactures to show there products vs their competition. These are not production products, and they are not being raced buy your average customer. They hire professionals to race them so they look good. As a whole I think this is great, they can learn things about there products, and hopefully pass it on to the end user.

Now racing a canopied "Factory" or "Stock" style boat doesn't make sense to me from the fact that it's not even close to what we're going to buy. Next, and I think an even bigger problem is that Factory racing is so close right now that it boils down to who has the best setup on that day, and the biggest set of stones while racing. I realize that it would be safer to a degree to be covered, but don't you think guys would push it a touch harder than they are capable of and possbile get hurt even worse ?

When Reggie Fountain can't keep a boat from rolling with all of his experience, and admits he was pushing it too hard what would happen to somebody else ?

Any thoughts ??
Old 01-26-2002, 12:18 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its all a matter of how much you like living and keeping yourself in one piece.

Racing is very dangerous. A canopy reduces the risks greatly.

I don't think I would be alive today if Mr T didn't have a canopy as the boat rolled over on my side and a neck injury would have been the least of my problems.

Frankly speaking, if you don't race, your not qualified to give your opinion on this issue because it's a personal choice. As more people get hurt, more canopies will be installed. Remember it was the unlimited boats that lost drivers left and right that finally brought F16 canopies to race boats.

This is a desicion that you may only get to make once in your life. Make the right choice.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:24 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Racing will always have accidents. Racers should show by example. Safety first....
When you are strapped in you feel safe, when you have a canope you go faster.
If you have an accident on water at any speed you are better of in the boat. I don't think anyone can avoid an accident but it is sure nice to come out of it and try again.
In f2 and f1 people are taking huge risks. They are running full throttle and over their heads at all times to stay out front. there is no breather. That is racing. If you want to go slow go on a poker run.
I saw several of the f2 accidents. In my opinion, the bad ones, the guy's would have been alright in a canope boat.
pat W
Old 01-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Reggie nor his son had to be airlifted to a nearby hospital,no hip,leg injury,no sea water pumped from their lungs,no prop marks on their body! Just the ultimate testimony to a Manufacture that himself showed its value.I do not doubt that if he had one on the dock ready to run [if allowed}he would have been back on the course before that one was towed off
Many get to watch six months or more of the season go by from the hospital bed,How many don't get that chance!
Race boats are canopied!
Old 01-26-2002, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
As a Factory 1 racer I'll be the first to tell you it is DANGERUS but thats why we do it,it's the thrill of being on the edge and not geting bit.No one in there right mind would put themselves in that kind of risk.We are risk takers I mean racers.The real problem is racers not knowing there limits and trying to keep up with the pack.If you put canopy's on factory boats you will lose the whole class.Most factory racers couldnt aford to buy a canopyed boat.We do use our boat for fun in the summer.
Randy F1-29 Typhoon
Old 01-26-2002, 06:59 PM
HydroScream

Great post guys!
I have never race an F1 of F2 boat, but IMHO I think if its going to make you guys safer go for it!

Old 01-26-2002, 06:59 PM
boatinjoe

Although I do not race Offshore I race OPC I would like to tender my opinion. I have raced tunnels and v-bottoms both with and without a capsule. My boats did not go one mph faster with the capsule. The diference is I can now concentrate on my driving instead of concentrating on staying in the boat. We race not for the risk, but the competition, and the thrill.
I have seen too many friends die in race boats. More than I can count. To a few the cost of canopies will drive them from the sport. But how many won't even attempt to join the sport after seeing the injuries and deaths.
You guys are driving race boats, not pleasure boats to the local dock bar. The sooner all drivers are strapped it the better, one loss of life is too much.
In Offshore there can be alternatives, removable canopies for example. Bolt in structures.
How do you tell a wife or mother he died because the organization did not allow a safety feature that could be readily available.
My best friends son died in a race 50 feet from me because he didn't have any protection.

Old 01-27-2002, 07:43 AM
Registered

Ron:
I understand what you are saying, and agree a canopied boat can be a safer way of doing it, I just think it opens up problems trying to run open, and canopied boats together as Mr. Miklos has brought up.
I can tell you from some of my own experience when I was younger (and dumber) I've put myself in bad situations because I was in a "safer" race vehicle. I can tell you first hand what it feels like to hit a wall at 177 mph, and it was 100% from the driver being over confident.
That being said if I was going to build/race a dedicated race boat I would build a canopied boat to race SVL, and or a P class. I just see it being too hard to do this with factory classes.
I thought that Factory racing was designed to let the different manufactures show there products off in a level playing feild, and take the data and improve there production products. I don't know too many people that would buy a 25' to 35' vee bottom canopied pleasure boat. Would you ?
Old 01-27-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
This is my opinion only but I would prefer to be buckled in my seat with full time air.I havent seen to many boat flip but have seen lots of ejections.Maybe it should be the choise of the crew.
Randy F1-29
Old 01-27-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Randy F1-29
Question for you. How would you feel if they made canopied boats legal at some point but for one reason or another you could not get, or get it one fast enough, and you had to race against guys who for lack of a better term were racing you more reckless than you would normally race facing the chance of getting tossed ? Do you think they should be allowed to race together ? Why not race SVL at that point ?

Quick Reply: Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.