Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Soda blasting a hull to remove paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/167675-soda-blasting-hull-remove-paint.html)

Velocity Tom 08-31-2007 03:22 PM

Soda blasting a hull to remove paint

Anyone ever try this? The paint on this boat has to go!

MOBILEMERCMAN 08-31-2007 03:30 PM

You may end up with a bunch of gelcoat voids to fill. There was a thread running about a month ago talking about different paint strippers.
Jim

Velocity Tom 08-31-2007 03:40 PM

So still the best is to sand the old stuff off with a da.

MOBILEMERCMAN 08-31-2007 03:53 PM

Not nec, power wash to get all the loose stuff off, If it wasn't primed when it was originally painted try a paint stripper first. If a primer was used it actually melts the gelcoat for better adhesion. If thats the case you got your hands full. The more your scratch it the more finish work you'll make. If you can chemically remove it you can wet sand and polish. If you da it off you may be left with a wavy bottom and a lot of finish work.Try to find old thread some one had success with a particular stripper. It's a nasty job no need to make it harder.
Jim

Velocity Tom 08-31-2007 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info.

THRILLSEEKER 08-31-2007 04:42 PM

My buddy had it done and it turned out great but he repainted the entrire boat keel to deck. You will need to repaint or regel the bottom with something.

It also takes special equipment to do, so dont plan on doing it with a regular blasting pot.

jdub 08-31-2007 04:57 PM

So does anybody know what the best paint stripper is? One that won't harm gel or fiberglass.

SUNSATION 25 08-31-2007 05:10 PM

Wish I knew what to use also...I'm a painter and specialize in exotics but have never been plagued with this question...the graphics are starting to chip away on the starboard side of my Powerplay, and as far as I can tell the gell wasn't sanded or scuffed prior to application. I really want to re paint the whole boat but don't want it to turn into a major project consitering it sits in storage 6 months of the year with no way to work on it then...I will put a call into my Dupont rep on Tuesday but can only expect a "non answer" on Wed......damned tech guys.............

Velocity Tom 08-31-2007 05:19 PM

I just pulled all the rubrail off and the paint is real thick and flakeing. Im not looking for a insane paint job , but want something good.

SUNSATION 25 08-31-2007 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity Tom (Post 2255825)
I just pulled all the rubrail off and the paint is real thick and flakeing. Im not looking for a insane paint job , but want something good.

After all these years of painting I learned something new here a few months ago, if it hasn't been prepped right try taking a razor blade and filing the corners down so it doesn't dig in and scratch the gel and scrape the paint off........Seriously I read it here on another thread, but I don't have enough ballz to do it on my boat...........