what to use to remove......... >

what to use to remove.........

Notices

what to use to remove.........

Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to use to remove.........

Hi everyone. I have a question for all of you. Im the one that just got the 25ft convincor boat. The guy I got it from said that he had a detailer person do the work on this boat last year and now it looks like he forgot to take wax off after he applied it. I guess he actually used a 3m rubbing compond that was mixed with some wax and now it looks like it is so faded and wont come out but it will with ALOT of rubbing, and I mean ALOT. Its like when the stuff heat up from rubbing it with your fingeres it starts to make these very little balls but then starts to smudg it all around. I have tried maguires 1st, 2nd, and 3rd step wax stuff with a buffer and it takes some of it off but smears the rest.It took me 2 1/2 hours just to do the top of one side of the deck, thats how bad it is. PLEASE tell me that I dont have to wet sand it. If anybody has ANY ideas on how to get this stuff off, PLEASE let me know. The small area that did come clean shows very good clearcoat still so im assuming that the rest of the boat is the same way. PLEASE help me with this one. THANKS for any input.
JOHN.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If all else fails - IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA, THAT IS, OUTDOORS - try a little gasoline on a rag. Seems to remove most waxes, compounds, road tar, bugs etc. Of course this will probably leave things a little dull so wash it good and try a good wax.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen people wax and leave it on all winter. I don't know why and certainly don't agree with it. Is your boat red or black? Is it gelcoat or clearcote? I have had bad experiences with starbrite on faded red and black boats. It contains silicones and will leave what you are describing. Hope that is not the case. However on gelcoat the best thing I've found is Meguires fine cut cleaner #2. It works well in tight areas by hand and works great with a superbuff 2 Pad on a polisher. If you are good with a polisher try that and follow with wax by hand.
Jim
Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered

I beleave it is a clearcoat but im really not sure how to tell the difference. The boat is red and like a cream color.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Hey John,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can only imagine how the finish looks underneath the residue. Wetsanding is going to be your solution. It's not that hard to do, so please don't worry too much. Even if you can remove the left over wax with a chemical the finish is going to be hazy and oxidized. Wetsanding will save you from having to try alot of different chemicals and wasting your time. I noticed that you already have a buffer and some experience, so you're halfway there.
Here's a link to Wetsanding 101. Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=161709

Donnie
Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdinvt
I beleave it is a clearcoat but im really not sure how to tell the difference. The boat is red and like a cream color.
1987? Gelcoat
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Registered

If it has clearcoat on it you should be able to find an edge somewhere, Clear won't fade but you have to be careful not to buff or sand it off if it's there. Wet sanding isn't so bad and like marine clean said it shows your efforts. if its not caulky just covered with residue it's a toss up. Everybody has there own favorite I shared mine.
Jim
Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered

Thanks so much for your help. I will try them all if I have to but now I have somewhere to start insted of sitting there wondering what to do. John
Old 09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Registered

I had a red 21` stryker. I would wax it and in two weeks it looked chalky and faded and you could see waxy looking swirls from early applications. Ended up wet sanding and clear coating. It turned out beautiful, like a new boat. It`s not as scary or difficult as it may seem.
good luck
Old 09-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Registered

had a boat come in with 3m rubbing compound left on from the year before, i used the same compound and wet buffing pad and removed it with no problem. my son wet the boat down in front of me as i buffed.

Quick Reply: what to use to remove.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.