Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   can't open it up runs fine at idle or without load (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/167853-cant-open-up-runs-fine-idle-without-load.html)

cove5 09-03-2007 09:13 PM

can't open it up runs fine at idle or without load

I just bought a 32 black thunder. it has a 454 I think at least that was what I was told when I bought it. When you try to lay down the throttle on the water it will run for a second or so and then right as it 's going get on plane it starts cutting out. I've tried to ease into it and still does it. I've replaced the carb, electric fuel pump. fuel water seperator, distributor and a bent exhaust value. The carb and dist are car parts though. I changed the stock coil dist to a electronic.
It just seems like I've replaced everything but the problem. I just bought this thing and I'm gettin really frustrated. Any suggestions

satisfied1 09-03-2007 11:50 PM

Try the ground plug on the engine for the wireharness. Might have a prong broke off on the harness or possiblly loose. Hope that works

OkieTunnel 09-04-2007 09:15 AM

Sounds like fuel starvation but with what you have replaced it sounds like it is in the fuel pickup, anti reverse valve or fuel line to the pump. I have had a bad anti-reverse valve at the tank cause exactly your problem. Take a five gallon gas can with a few gallons of fuel in it. Run a new fuel line from it to your fuel pump. If it runs fine you will know where your problem is.

Wobble 09-04-2007 11:37 AM

install a fuel pressure gauge just before the carb and monitor the fuel pressure as you accelerate, you should not see less than about 4psi with 6-7 being ideal.

Be careful, 2 guys got second degree burns this weekend trying to fault find a fuel problem on the water.

btw Have you checked the fuel for water, this is a typical symptom

Griff 09-04-2007 11:54 PM

TAKE THE CAR PARTS OFF THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a fuel problem, they may cause an explosion.

Kims 09-05-2007 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2259395)
TAKE THE CAR PARTS OFF THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a fuel problem, they may cause an explosion.

:Whatever: Like cars explode all the time they are used....

wrinkleface 09-05-2007 06:54 AM

Popcorn & peanuts!!!!!!!

OldSchool 09-05-2007 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by wrinkleface (Post 2259484)
Popcorn & peanuts!!!!!!!

LMAO!!! This should be good!:hitfan: :party-smiley-048: :ernaehrung004: :food-smiley-007:

Here are my 2 cents. Do a leakdown and compression check. What caused the bent valve???????

Wobble 09-05-2007 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kims (Post 2259414)
:Whatever: Like cars explode all the time they are used....

They would if the engine ran in a closed compartment:rolleyes:

VetteLT193 09-05-2007 11:56 AM

The carb should be replaced, there are no J tubes on non marine carbs... that really could cause a fire in certain situations. The distributor probably doesn't make a difference.

This definitely sounds like lack of fuel. check the pressure first, then figure out where the problem is. you could be getting air in the line at some point.