Notices

may i ask ?

Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the power-to-weight ratio of the diesel engine gets closer to gas engines, it will make more sense to have a diesel powerplant than a gasser. Not having an ignition system makes the diesel more reliable. (No spark plugs, plug wires, coils, distributors, crank pick-ups, etc.)

The diesel engines that make gobs of horsepower are VERY expensive.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
The only problem is the diesel motor will need something between it and the prop to make it a performance boat motor. Wont you give up something by having a prop so steep that will turn you respectable MPH's at a WOT of only 3200 rpms? Thus the need for multi speed gear boxes? I would think the massive torque of a diesel motor would allow this without a sweat.

Been a few threads on this...I wish someone would make one..

As to the diesels that make gobs of HP/Torque they are way to heavy for our type's of applications. Unfortunately, you can not have high rpms especially in a straight 6 application and expect it to last. Banks is suppose to be coming out with something shortly with over 600 hp..I will wait and see.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
Been a few threads on this...I wish someone would make one..

As to the diesels that make gobs of HP/Torque they are way to heavy for our type's of applications. Unfortunately, you can not have high rpms especially in a straight 6 application and expect it to last. Banks is suppose to be coming out with something shortly with over 600 hp..I will wait and see.
What about that two speed "ring" drive they put in the yanmar cobalt 343?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your advices
Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in the old days, (when I was racing), SeaTek had an aluminum alloy diesel that had a great power-to-weight ratio and made over 600hp. The problem was it was over $100,000 back then. Today they are probably 800Hp and $250,000!