Notices

What would you do??

Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do??

First of all, I am not going to mention the brand of trailer. Bought a new "06" demo boat and trailer from a dealer. Had a few warranty issues with the boat and they were handled flawlessly. The trailer on the other hand, had some issues. The trailer went from Miami to Washington State and back before I got it. When I got the trailer I noticed the winch stand was bent over to the drivers side and the tires were all wearing wildly (the second row in from the outside and the inside of each tire was worn down lower than the rest of the tire). So, I called the trailer manufacturer and explained the problem, on the same call I asked them how much grease dot he these hubs take? I had never had a spindle trailer w/o the spring type bearing buddy. He told me to grease it until I see grease around the nut. He also told me he would check the winch stand and replace all the tires and check for a alignment problem at no charge.

Two days later, I am traveling to a Poker Run and smoke a hub on the trailer. I get it to a shop two miles from where I pulled over. I had to ride on two tires on that side to get to the shop. In the two miles the weight bulged another tire on that side. The shop pulled all thre tires from that side while they had it in the air and found metal shavings in both of the other bearings. After that, I decide to have them pull the other side, thank god I did, the front bearing was already welded to the spindle and would of smoked pretty soon. the other two on that side also had metal in the bearings. Also all of the bearings were very tight on the spindles and the two that were seized had to be air chiseled off the spindle. The shop noted that it looked like the bearings were driven on. Needless to say, I had all six bearings and hub kits replaced at my expense ( $600.00). I also bought a new tire/rim to replace the bulged one, so i still had a spare to continue my trip.

Well, we made it to the poker run w/o any other problems. I then dropped the boat off at the factory for the warranty work and called the trailer manufacturer to tell him he could pick up the trailer. I was shocked, the owner of the trailer co. changed his whole story. He told me he didn't know the trailer was an "06" and it was out of warranty. I explained to him that I bought the trailer and boat new from a dealer. he said it didn't matter, and blamed the dealer for not calling him about the tires and winch stand. I asked him about the bearing issue that he said he would reimburse me for if i gave him the bill. He now stated that it was "probably" a lack of grease. Since the trailer went from Miami to Wash. and back that someone must not have greased it. I explained to him that the trailer obviously left Miami greased to go to Wash st. and i spoke to the dealer that shipped it back to Florida for me and he even knew what color the grease was and told me to call the transport co. and the driver would verify they greased it while he was hooking up to it. Then I got the boat and trailer and never used the trailer until the day I noticed the tire wear, and the only reason I looked at the tires was to check the air pressure and grease the trailer.
Bottom line is, i consider the trailer "new", I am the first owner of the boat and trailer. The boat still had a "new" warranty. Am I being unreasonable or what. I have owned a myco and an extreme trailer and never had any issues at all. I always grease my bearings and check air pressure before a trip. I feel like the manufacturer is just bailing out.
The manufacturer said he would replace the tires and check the alignment, thats it. The winch stand is literally bent over, he said the dealer never retorqued it. Could the alignment have smoked all the bearings. If its out wouldn't the tires be fighting the trailer going down the road, loading the bearings at weird angles? I just don't want to go through this again down the road. I think I should get reimbursed for the bearing failure. First they said they would and now since the trailer is an "06" they won't i am the first owner though.

What would you do???
Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Registered

Here is a pic of one of the smoked spindles
Attached Thumbnails What would you do??-rsz_img_0306.jpg  
Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOMOGOFAST
First of all, I am not going to mention the brand of trailer. Bought a new "06" demo boat and trailer from a dealer. Had a few warranty issues with the boat and they were handled flawlessly. The trailer on the other hand, had some issues. The trailer went from Miami to Washington State and back before I got it. When I got the trailer I noticed the winch stand was bent over to the drivers side and the tires were all wearing wildly (the second row in from the outside and the inside of each tire was worn down lower than the rest of the tire). So, I called the trailer manufacturer and explained the problem, on the same call I asked them how much grease dot he these hubs take? I had never had a spindle trailer w/o the spring type bearing buddy. He told me to grease it until I see grease around the nut. He also told me he would check the winch stand and replace all the tires and check for a alignment problem at no charge.

Two days later, I am traveling to a Poker Run and smoke a hub on the trailer. I get it to a shop two miles from where I pulled over. I had to ride on two tires on that side to get to the shop. In the two miles the weight bulged another tire on that side. The shop pulled all thre tires from that side while they had it in the air and found metal shavings in both of the other bearings. After that, I decide to have them pull the other side, thank god I did, the front bearing was already welded to the spindle and would of smoked pretty soon. the other two on that side also had metal in the bearings. Also all of the bearings were very tight on the spindles and the two that were seized had to be air chiseled off the spindle. The shop noted that it looked like the bearings were driven on. Needless to say, I had all six bearings and hub kits replaced at my expense ( $600.00). I also bought a new tire/rim to replace the bulged one, so i still had a spare to continue my trip.

Well, we made it to the poker run w/o any other problems. I then dropped the boat off at the factory for the warranty work and called the trailer manufacturer to tell him he could pick up the trailer. I was shocked, the owner of the trailer co. changed his whole story. He told me he didn't know the trailer was an "06" and it was out of warranty. I explained to him that I bought the trailer and boat new from a dealer. he said it didn't matter, and blamed the dealer for not calling him about the tires and winch stand. I asked him about the bearing issue that he said he would reimburse me for if i gave him the bill. He now stated that it was "probably" a lack of grease. Since the trailer went from Miami to Wash. and back that someone must not have greased it. I explained to him that the trailer obviously left Miami greased to go to Wash st. and i spoke to the dealer that shipped it back to Florida for me and he even knew what color the grease was and told me to call the transport co. and the driver would verify they greased it while he was hooking up to it. Then I got the boat and trailer and never used the trailer until the day I noticed the tire wear, and the only reason I looked at the tires was to check the air pressure and grease the trailer.
Bottom line is, i consider the trailer "new", I am the first owner of the boat and trailer. The boat still had a "new" warranty. Am I being unreasonable or what. I have owned a myco and an extreme trailer and never had any issues at all. I always grease my bearings and check air pressure before a trip. I feel like the manufacturer is just bailing out.
The manufacturer said he would replace the tires and check the alignment, thats it. The winch stand is literally bent over, he said the dealer never retorqued it. Could the alignment have smoked all the bearings. If its out wouldn't the tires be fighting the trailer going down the road, loading the bearings at weird angles? I just don't want to go through this again down the road. I think I should get reimbursed for the bearing failure. First they said they would and now since the trailer is an "06" they won't i am the first owner though.

What would you do???
I would be talking to the dealer where I bought the boat and trailer and demanding they give me a brand new trailer not the piece of sh1t one they said was new! and reimburse you all of the added expence the old trailer cost you. Good luck!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small claims court for the bearing bill and the winch stand if the selling dealer wont stand up for you.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

From the picture I would say your bearings ran dry and they probably were not adjusted right to begin with.

If lubed completly and adjusted properly they would not have gone out so fast.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

well, that looks like dexter hub with the non removeable inside bearing that is pressed onto the axle during assembly of the hub to axle as 1 unit that can not be removed without breaking the bearing...

i replaced all of my bearings/seals on my MYCO with the air tight / bearing sleeve system so if i ever have a problem i can fix it on side of the road..

someone apparently forgot to pump grease ...

with the air tight system , the "complete" hub is filled with grease bearing to bearing...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by open72
well, that looks like dexter hub with the non removeable inside bearing that is pressed onto the axle during assembly of the hub to axle as 1 unit that can not be removed without breaking the bearing...
???????????????????

Non Removeable?

No such thing. Some may be harder to get off then others but ALL tapered roller bearing cones on the spindle are removable and ALL outer races (cups) can also be removed from the hub. It is always VERY important to replace both the cup and the cone.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered

Four of the six came off fairly easily. The smoked one was gone and the other one was froze and had to be air chiseled off. The shop noted that it looked as if the bearings were driven on the spindles. It took quite a bit of sanding to get the new bearings on the two that froze up.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by NOMOGOFAST
Four of the six came off fairly easily. The smoked one was gone and the other one was froze and had to be air chiseled off. The shop noted that it looked as if the bearings were driven on the spindles. It took quite a bit of sanding to get the new bearings on the two that froze up.
That is typical from a bearing that gets VERY hot and fails. They expand and become tight on the spindle and usually have to be cut off. As we say the "Grease Worms" got it. No lubrication means added friction which means added heat which causes heat expansion and failure.

On a new spindle a new bearing is NOT a press fit. It is a slip fit and should go on and off by hand.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
???????????????????

Non Removeable?

No such thing. Some may be harder to get off then others but ALL tapered roller bearing cones on the spindle are removable and ALL outer races (cups) can also be removed from the hub. It is always VERY important to replace both the cup and the cone.
hey doc, remember when i went though this ...not roasting but close..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...al+part+number

the outter was no problem , it was the inner that there was no way of pulling off the hub without breaking that inner bearing/seal..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.