Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
26 Baja Outlaw or Donzi 27 ZR????? >

26 Baja Outlaw or Donzi 27 ZR?????

Notices

26 Baja Outlaw or Donzi 27 ZR?????

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only stating what happened, A 15 minute ride and broke a stringer on the maiden voyage...not to mention my friend the same year had brad new 29 outlaw that the hull separated from the deck...Yes Baja replaced the boat, but they have had some major issues...and no Pier 37 does not sell the Baja line anymore, too many problems...Good luck
Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Congrats on your decision! Baja takes a beating on this forum sometimes and for the most part it is not justified. Yes, they had quality control problems in the past but in the last few years under new ownership I've noticed a big improvement in their fit and finish. I've always loved the looks of the Outlaw line. You get a lot of boat for the money with a lot of room in the cockpit area compared to most boats. Have fun and be safe!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered

To answer your other question, I was not in Fall River, and don't let my screen name fool you, I didn't pull the trigger on the Fountain...I smartened up and purchased a new custom built 28 Pantera...I guess I'll be changing my screen name too....
Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered

Congrats on the new boat. Baja makes a nice boat and and the bottom line is you can have fun on anything that floats. To say people pick Donzi just because they have one is crazy. I live in Baja country and have been on almost every size a number of times. The ZR series is a well built boat that is fast and handles everything thrown at it. Not all non Baja owners bash them but by the same token some Baja owners need to look around and see other boat mfg's make a nice boat also and they may want to consider other options if they are looking for a new ride.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
Yes sir....good call!

Exactly the issue that I mentioned in my post.

The Donzi was designed to be used as a lake toy. Cockpit too low and cabin is way too tight.
I respectfully disagree. Just because the Donzi has a smaller cockpit and less depth doesn't make it a "lake toy". Maybe the Baja is better for overnighting, but that doesn't have anything to do with what a boat can do in the rough. I'd bet the ZR is going to tear through the bigger snot better than the OL. Just my point02.

That being said the thread starter did the right thing and bought the boat that FIT HIS NEEDS.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered

After looking through all of the possibilities, you have to keep an open mind with everything. I have learned that from the past. I always due my research and look for the what is going to fit me best. For me this time, it was the Baja. I won't say a bad thing about the Donzi as it was an awesome boat, but for me it was a little out of my budget and a little tight. If money wasn't a problem, then I think it would have been a much harder choice. You are always going to hear the negative aspects much more then you are going to hear the positive. I currently have a 20 Outlaw for the past three years and I don't have a bad thing to say about it. I just need something bigger. Just like anything else I own, I use it for what it was intended and care for it just as much.

Thanks again for the comments...it's always good to hear other peoples' experiences. Thats why I love these forums.

Will post pics when I get the boat!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new boat. Glad to hear you made your own decision.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, ok, I apologise humbly to the Donzi boys for calling the 27ZR a lake toy. I´m quite sure that the hull will crush the waves and stay together doing so, but my reference was based on the low cockpit.
I crawled around that boat for quite a while in Miami, and drew my conclusions there.
But in view of the fact that a Cig Gladiator has the same low cockpit, even that argument won´t hold up too good

However, I do think that Baja warrent some real merit for creating a boat series with very practical qualities, while at the same time looking as racy and performance orientated as most of the more exotic offerings on the market.
It is this dual personality that appeals to many buyers over here and according to the sales in the US, also to the buyer who is exposed to a much broader range of manufacturers.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
Ok, ok, I apologise humbly to the Donzi boys for calling the 27ZR a lake toy. I´m quite sure that the hull will crush the waves and stay together doing so, but my reference was based on the low cockpit.
I crawled around that boat for quite a while in Miami, and drew my conclusions there.
But in view of the fact that a Cig Gladiator has the same low cockpit, even that argument won´t hold up too good
You dont need a deep cockpit when your in a sit down boat no matter how big the water is.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
You dont need a deep cockpit when your in a sit down boat no matter how big the water is.
Exactly.

Quick Reply: 26 Baja Outlaw or Donzi 27 ZR?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.