Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder >

Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Notices

Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

I am hoping that the members of OSO can help me compare two boats that seem to be great for big wave crushing and entertainment purposes.

I have my wife blessing to pursue the purchase of a (used)BT, undecided on make & model yet. However I recieved an interesting email about the availabilty of a Formula 419 that is available.

I understand that the 419 is trips and will "probaly" cost more to insure and maintain, and the cabin height is shorter on the 419 than a regular BT.

Any thoughts on the two would be appreciated....

We do not over night on the boat.. mainly point A to B and cove out.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SinkorSwim
I am hoping that the members of OSO can help me compare two boats that seem to be great for big wave crushing and entertainment purposes.

I have my wife blessing to pursue the purchase of a (used)BT, undecided on make & model yet. However I recieved an interesting email about the availabilty of a Formula 419 that is available.

I understand that the 419 is trips and will "probaly" cost more to insure and maintain, and the cabin height is shorter on the 419 than a regular BT.

Any thoughts on the two would be appreciated....

We do not over night on the boat.. mainly point A to B and cove out.
SOS, if you are talking about the 43 BT I've got a couple of neighbors that have them. One is a triple yanmar diesel with Bravos. Great boat. Only runs in the low 60's but it will do it all day every day. The other had a pair of 500hps in it to start with. Of course, then he had to pro-charge them and they were eventually reduced to rubble. Went back with a pair of 496 Mag Ho and pro-charged them, if I'm not mistaken. Still has issues about every other time he takes it out. Now, I know all of the forced induction is skewing the results but it just seems that the 43 is a lot of boat to only have twins. I think they are both satisfied with the way the hulls have held up, though. Personally, I like the Formula but I'm no fan of trips either. What a nightmare to work on. I am a previous Formula owner so I'm a little biased but the quality and detail I saw in my old '89 F-311 impressed the hell outta me. All seating had the original wood when I redid it and that was in 2003 (14 years). Fit and finish was just over the top. In fact, a 400SS may be my next rig!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BT for sure. No one else has the head room of a BT with a queen bed you can walk up to without ducking. Modified twins in the 750hp range will get you around 85 to 90 in a stepped 43. However, in used go with the 43 if twins, 46 if triples. Email Steve David about any questions you have on handling etc.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Registered

I like both ( but would not buy either,just doesn't fit into my boating) if cost isn't an issue how about a 45 Maximus?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tell us more about your needs and price range you are in. If you have the coin, the 43 Nortech is a sweet option, as it is a great boat and still offers plenty of headroom.

The BT can be tough on drives if you do not go easy with her!

Where do you boat?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Definitely need to consider the 42 and 45 Sonics as well.

Too bad we don't have a used 43 Active Thunder for you; yet!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The drive issue is why I re rigged my 43 BT with #5 drives. Full load of fuel (280 gallons) and 8 adults at Destin. 75 MPH @ 5000 RPM. 50 MPH @ 3600 RPM, 60 MPH @ 4100 RPM. We ran the whole run on less than a tank of fuel. It is for sale. PM for details.
Attached Thumbnails Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder-dsc00901.jpg   Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder-boat-balcony.jpg  

Last edited by f311fr1; 08-31-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add a line
Old 09-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Registered

I checked out this one, but decided too much boat, and was afraid of the trips. Nice boat, new alum trailer, freshened motors.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/0/87784790.htm
Old 09-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Registered

I've never been on a BT but ridden on my buddy's 419. It's one sweet ride. At the Lake Havasu Poker Run the boat ran smooth and steady all day long. Best riding boat I've been on to date (limited experience mostly 26-34 footers). The fit and finish are beyond anything I've seen. I'm 6'2'' and find the cabin comfortable enough. The sunpad is huge and the ultra leather is terrific. Plenty of space in the engine compartment to work on the three big dogs. Again, I've never been on anything exotic like OL, Nortech, etc. Happy hunting.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

43 BLACK THUNDER is a nice boat, alot of amenities -- 70mph on 500 efi's rides decent. the 46 is a troubled hull design as it porpoises and sways, . the formula will be faster, lessheadroom, but better quality than the bt, but will handle rough water much better than the 46. biggest problem with the bt is it eats xr drives, its just too heavy, so plan on spending money on drive failures, or change to a better drive, good luck, they are both great boats, If you want a real wave crusher at loto, got a 50' nortech for sale.

Quick Reply: Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.