Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the clarification
Old 09-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frogger1403
By the way how do you know that I don't know about Epoxy boats?
Owned

G

Last edited by cigarette1; 09-11-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Springbrook
That is not delamination. The boats are not gelcoated. They are sprayed with a filler primer after they come out of the molds and sanded before they are painted. What you are looking at is the primer released from the hull. It has nothing to do with the structural integrity of the boat.

I believe the owner and builder.
Ditto +1
Seriously guys, thats peeling paint and that's it. The epoxy is green, the white is the paint. Somebody gave you guys bad info.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I think OSO'ers here need to be careful with their discriptions and statements. I for one believe the pealing off of the paint and filler which is obvoiusly not delamination. I have seen the videos and television broadcasts of some of these P-1 races in places like Malta and such and the conditons are absolutely BRUTAL -BOAT KILLERs and the fact that the Dragon hull can run out front and win in these conditions is absolutely outstanding and a testiment to the boat builder and driver and team. Congratulations to our special US boat builders like Dragon and Outerlimits who are showing some Europeans how to build a winning boat. Congratulations to the racers as they have indured condtions that would make most of us hide under the couch!

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
I think OSO'ers here need to be careful with their discriptions and statements.
How careful do people need to be to be allowed to post on OSO ? I hope people are allowed to say what they think they have seen ? People can only do to the best of their ability. Nobody is perfect (maybe except some OSO'ers)
Clearly there was damage to the hull. So people that have seen the Dragon boat after the race have seen a boat that had sustained some damage. That it was not delamintaion is a specific diagnosis that turned out not to be accurate. But the poster had seen some damage, and that turned out to be true. Based on the other posters it sounded like the hull was in perfect condition after the race, which it was clearly not.
A discussion like this can be avoided if the posters replying could have been more open about what did in fact happen and said something like this:
No the hull did not delaminate, but some filler and paint did peel off and that is what you have seen, but the epoxy part of the hull was not damaged.
At the end of the day we did get the story, but I think some people need to calm down. No need for this bashing.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Registered

Your quote:
Based on the other posters it sounded like the hull was in perfect condition after the race, which it was clearly not.

My quote:
The boat did not delaminate. What you might have seen is where the motor was banging against the hull when the mount broke.

I did not say or imply that the 'hull was in perfect condition'. I did offer an explaination of the damage that he saw. The motor mounts broke during the first race (Sat.). A 1400lbs. motor was banging around the engine compartment. The only question I posed to Craig or Mike was in reference to the delamination. I posted the answer I received.

Many boats would not have been able to continue the race. The new composites/epoxies used by Dragon and a few other top builders offer unparrelled strength and weight savings in the new hulls.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Guys

Just to clear this up, as the driver and owner of the boat, we simply lost some filler! The boat hit something while racing (we think the engine hatch which was ripped off the Hustler or something else) ... and once holed, it peeled back the filler. Fixed in a couple of days.

If you want to see the sort of stuff we race in, take a look at this:

http://www.extremeboat.com/news_incidents.htm

Click on the camera icon under the title "Is it a plane" ... or even better, watch the race video:

http://www.extremeboat.com/news_videos_07.htm

scroll down and click on the Belgium - Race 2 video

All the boats have suffered damage in this sort of stuff including Outlerlimits and Fountain ... we just fix it and carry on.

The Dragon is an awesome rough water boat and tough as any boat I have driven. After two season in this sort of water, it still looks like new

Craig, Scott and Doug sure build a great boat!!

Last edited by Sheltie; 10-04-2007 at 11:09 AM.