Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread >

Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread

Notices

Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My math must be terrible. Entry fees of $210,000, winner payout of $100,00, Charity $50,000, leaves $60,000 to run the event, and that's not counting the per person fees, and corporate sponserships.

Are you telling me it cost more than 60 grand to put on the event???

Even if it did, the PRA is a business. I own a business, and if I underestimate a project, I get to eat the difference.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
My math must be terrible. Entry fees of $210,000, winner payout of $100,00, Charity $50,000, leaves $60,000 to run the event, and that's not counting the per person fees, and corporate sponserships.

Are you telling me it cost more than 60 grand to put on the event???

Even if it did, the PRA is a business. I own a business, and if I underestimate a project, I get to eat the difference.
My math must be even worse Joe.

$210,000.00 in entry fees less $100,000.00 in prize payout leaves $110,000.00 for gross profit.

Unless it cost over $5000.00 per boat to run the event, something just doesn't add up.

Even after removing the $50,000.00 for the charity, it would still leave over $2800.00 for per boat expenses and net profit.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=cloke;2271173]Have been away. Missed all this BS.

I agree that PRA will do the right thing.

No one involved in this debate is expecting PRA to donate money that they don't have from this event.

I don't agree with this, just like Cuda says if you are a business and make a promise and did not say in advance that it had to have X number of boats before the charity would receive money then they have to take it on the cheek and take the money out of their business, not just that particualar run. This is not uncommon in business, the company I work for makes mistakes on occassion that costs them money but they still come through for the customer.

And there is no learning experience here either.PRA has put together more poker runs that were well run and safe and full of entertainment than anyone else in North America

You are right they put on lots of well orgainzied events, that is why if they made a promise without adding a statement about the what ifs if the number of boats did not reach their quota is really not an excuse to not pay out. If they paid the full amount to the winner they should pay the full amount to the charity. I think no matter how long a company is in business along the way is there is always a learning experience, this one will be a hard lesson to swallow. Sounds odd that they made phone calls inviting people, was any of this promise of the prizes and the donation in writing, if not it sure as heck should have been.

It is my opinion that the tax receipts should be issued to the people that donated the money , namely each of the entrants, not the grand prize winner as has been suggested. They donated 2k when they paid their entance fee as we all did.

I agree with the previous post that a reduced number of boats does effect the finances available to the winner and the charity.

I think you might have missed the meaning of my post, Yes the reduced number of boats would have affected the finances, but poor planning on how the run was promoted and explained does not give them an out on paying the charity. If they did not have the foresight to give themself an out, they still have to do the right thing and pay up. Not every company makes a profit on every deal, but if they are reputable and want repeat business they have to come through and fulfill promises made to customers. If PRA does not want to damage their reputation I think they will do the right thing.

HIGH STAKES PORTION of 4 boats x 6k each is a real shortfall.
Add back half the entry fee for the boat that paid and didnt show up and you have approx. 30k left for a fine donation to the charity of David and Johns choosing.
50 minus 24 plus 5
Anything more than that I can see being a burden on PRA and not fair to them which may cause this event not to be repeated which would be a shame.

I await the photo op

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 09-14-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

I talked to both David from the winning Lawrason's Team and Bill Taylor today. Bill said the final accounting will be finished early next week and by Tuesday he will have the numbers for David's cancer charity.

Like I said earlier on, these things sometimes take time. Next week, we'll all congratulate ourselves and PRA for putting on such a great weekend and raising money for kids with cancer.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I put on the JACKSONVILLE FIRE AND POLICE POKER RUN. This run is a charity event. It takes about 3 months to settle all the $$ promised and to pay all your bills.

BILL TAYLOR and PRA are a CLASS ACT and will take care of business. Remember whatever the amount ,large or small is more than the charity received last year and they will be very greatful for the donation. BILL P.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raymond
I talked to both David from the winning Lawrason's Team and Bill Taylor today. Bill said the final accounting will be finished early next week and by Tuesday he will have the numbers for David's cancer charity.

Like I said earlier on, these things sometimes take time. Next week, we'll all congratulate ourselves and PRA for putting on such a great weekend and raising money for kids with cancer.

Thats good news Raymond. Thanks for keepin us informed.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Registered

Maybe the winner of the 100 grand will cover the shortfall of the 50 thousand for the charity? That is if they run short.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 AM
cloke

Angry

Originally Posted by Muley
Maybe the winner of the 100 grand will cover the shortfall of the 50 thousand for the charity? That is if they run short.
YOU ARE MISSING THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS TOPIC

Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered

I am a little lost here.

Has the organizer said he would not pay the $50,000 to the charity? Based on what I've read in this thread, there seems to be some hedging, but no declarative "I'm not paying" statement. As someone said earlier, it does take a little time.

Regardless, the obligation to make good on the organizer's promise belongs solely to the organizer, even if the revenue wasn't what he hoped it would be. In no way should the winner be asked, much less expected, to make up the shortfall.

People might have entered based on the organizer's pledge of $50,000 to a charity. Anything less than honoring that pledge, to the penny, is unacceptable. Completely.

But again, I don't read anything here that says the organizer is backing out.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 100-Plus
I am a little lost here.

Has the organizer said he would not pay the $50,000 to the charity? Based on what I've read in this thread, there seems to be some hedging, but no declarative "I'm not paying" statement. As someone said earlier, it does take a little time.

Regardless, the obligation to make good on the organizer's promise belongs solely to the organizer, even if the revenue wasn't what he hoped it would be. In no way should the winner be asked, much less expected, to make up the shortfall.

People might have entered based on the organizer's pledge of $50,000 to a charity. Anything less than honoring that pledge, to the penny, is unacceptable. Completely.

But again, I don't read anything here that says the organizer is backing out.
In answer to the one question in your post.........YES

Quick Reply: Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.