OT- Pet Question. Any Vets out there? >

OT- Pet Question. Any Vets out there?

Notices

OT- Pet Question. Any Vets out there?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT- Pet Question. Any Vets out there?

Yesterday I found out that my Cheyenne has bladder cancer. She is 15 and other wise in great health. All of her blood tests came back great. We started her on Piroxicam yesterday and a Hill's canned food for dogs with cancer. Any other suggestions? She is too old to put through chemo. Our vet said there is no way of knowing how long we have with her. Could be months, could be longer. She is in no way suffering right now. This evening she was running and barking up and down the hallway. She sure does not act like she has cancer. And that's it, she does not know she has cancer. The only thing is she cannot control her bladder. It gets full and over flows. THAT bothers her but she is adjusting.
I just thought I would put this out there to see if anyone else has gone through this and any treatments that might be out there.
Attached Thumbnails OT- Pet Question. Any Vets out there?-cheyenne-004.jpg  
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

A few weeks ago I was in a panic late at night with my dog,no vets to call. I stumbled upon www.justanswer.com/vet and had an email from a vet tech in a couple minutes,solved my problem for about $10. I would use them again,peace of mind and another opinion is worth way more than that.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

It might be worth a call to what are two of the best vet treatment schools out there- University of Wisconsin, Madison, or Iowa State University, Ames (general info at either will direct you to the treatment hospitals)

We used to raise Scottish Terriers, and had problems with bladder cancer and pituitary cancer with our dogs- Madison had the answers and the treatments for our pets and they were able to live much longer lives than what was ever expected.
I'll give my mother a call up in Canada tomorrow-too late tonight (she resides there over the summers)- I'm sure she can remember much more than myself on the details of the treatments- maybe even some of the medications. Let you know as soon as I can.
Jim
Old 09-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Sorry to hear about your pup :-( . I'm a veterinarian, and bladder cancer is one of the cancers I fear most, because like you said, often they are feeling great other than the blood in the urine, and the constant urge to go. I noticed that you didn't mention those symptoms, so I'm curious about the diagnosis...

How was the diagnosis made? Was a biopsy taken? Were any cells collected with a catheter? Was the new BTA (Bladder Tumor Antigen) test run on her blood?

It's important to remember, though, that bladder cancer may be a big quality of life issue -- I've unfortunately heard stories of people not being able to make the "right" choice for the pet, when things get bad. There are surgical options in some cases, but that may not appeal to you. Again, a proper diagnosis is the first step. A bladder that gets too full and then "overflows" sounds more like a neurologic issue, to me.

You say on one hand that she's "otherwise in great health", but then "she's too old for chemo". Which is it? Age isn't a disease, I like to remind folks... not that I'm a big fan of chemotherapy, but it's important to recognize the reasons for your choices, too.

Last edited by DrFeelgood; 09-13-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Ocg,

As we are currently going through our own puppy issues, I wish your pup and you all the best.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Originally Posted by agchoset
Sorry to hear about your pup :-( . I'm a veterinarian, and bladder cancer is one of the cancers I fear most, because like you said, often they are feeling great other than the blood in the urine, and the constant urge to go. I noticed that you didn't mention those symptoms, so I'm curious about the diagnosis...

How was the diagnosis made? Was a biopsy taken? Were any cells collected with a catheter? Was the new BTA (Bladder Tumor Antigen) test run on her blood?

It's important to remember, though, that bladder cancer may be a big quality of life issue -- I've unfortunately heard stories of people not being able to make the "right" choice for the pet, when things get bad. There are surgical options in some cases, but that may not appeal to you. Again, a proper diagnosis is the first step. A bladder that gets too full and then "overflows" sounds more like a neurologic issue, to me.

You say on one hand that she's "otherwise in great health", but then "she's too old for chemo". Which is it? Age isn't a disease, I like to remind folks... not that I'm a big fan of chemotherapy, but it's important to recognize the reasons for your choices, too.
Last Thursday evening she ran in and out all evening. We thought she was going out to see her boyfriends that live next door. After it was dark it was unlike her to keep running in and out so we went outside to check on her and she could not go. She would just stop and stand there. I bent over and checked her and she was all wet. We called the 24 hour vet and took her right in. They tested her urine and she had blood and protein in there. They suggested we get a blood test and a xray from her vet in the next couple of days and put her on Baytril and a pain med. I called my vet the very next morning and scheduled a blood tests and xray for Saturday. We went in and the vet did not like the xray and thought she saw a tumor. Her blood tests came back good except her BUN was a little high, 51 and her HCT was a little low, 35.2. I am not seeing where they did a BTA. We got a ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday. I took her in Tuesday and the tech said there was a tumor. There was no biopsy, I have heard that doing that could progress the cancer.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh Sweetie!!! Ill put Cheyenne in our prayers
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Registered

It's true that using a needle to test a bladder tumor can be bad -- it can seed tumor cells all along the tract where the needle passes, through the abdominal wall. However, passing a urinary catheter into the bladder, and then "massaging" the surface of the suspected tumor with the catheter, can dislodge cells that might allow a diagnosis. Without knowledge of what the real issue is, it's tough to say what the right course of action is. I noticed you said that the tech told you there was a tumor -- did you speak to one of the veterinarians about it? Based on the ultrasound, is it obvious that surgery is not an option??

Originally Posted by Outlawcowgirl
Last Thursday evening she ran in and out all evening. We thought she was going out to see her boyfriends that live next door. After it was dark it was unlike her to keep running in and out so we went outside to check on her and she could not go. She would just stop and stand there. I bent over and checked her and she was all wet. We called the 24 hour vet and took her right in. They tested her urine and she had blood and protein in there. They suggested we get a blood test and a xray from her vet in the next couple of days and put her on Baytril and a pain med. I called my vet the very next morning and scheduled a blood tests and xray for Saturday. We went in and the vet did not like the xray and thought she saw a tumor. Her blood tests came back good except her BUN was a little high, 51 and her HCT was a little low, 35.2. I am not seeing where they did a BTA. We got a ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday. I took her in Tuesday and the tech said there was a tumor. There was no biopsy, I have heard that doing that could progress the cancer.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agchoset,

Its nice to have you on the board! So many of us, have family members with fur, four legs and feathers!
Thanks you for your valuable input!

Julie
Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered

Glad to be here Call me Andrew!

Quick Reply: OT- Pet Question. Any Vets out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.