Notices

Key West Poker Run

Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffC
Next year im going to try and run in the 70mph group...If things work out im puttin some tall decks in this winter...

Jeff, there are no speed groups as you are speeking of. Its a real simple run to make. The first leg is only 6-7 mile and you can keep all boats in site. The second leg is thru Biscane Bay down to Gilberts. If you run at 60-65 mph for this part you wont lose sight of all the roosters and wakes. There are only a few critical areas to make it through on this leg of the run. The lunch stop will be a Gilberts. Being one of the slower boats is a definate advantage at this stop. As you pull into Gilberts, all the confusion from 75 boats trying to dock at the same time will just about be over. You will be able to pull right up and raft off a boat and go right up and have lunch. The next leg is thru some very critical areas and most the boat will keep a slower pace and you will keep up just fine until the next stop which will be Sunshine Key. Fuel up at Sunshine Key which is about 125-135 miles from Miami. When you leave Sunshine Key you will be going out into the open ocean for the last 40 miles into KW. It is a real simple trip from Sunshine to KW. All you have to do is head out aprox 1.5 -2 miles hang a right and then follow the shoreline until you see until you KW Harbor and all the tall buildings. Take a right into KW harbour and follow the channel into the bight where all the other boats will be rafted up.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info...

Us small guys gotta stick together...LOL

Sounds like it is going to be an awsome run..
Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JeffC
Thanks for all the info...

Us small guys gotta stick together...LOL

Sounds like it is going to be an awsome run..
It will be. Just make sure that your boat is in top notch condition and prepared for the run and you will be fine. Dont be over concerned with the speeds.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by otis311
Tank, I think they are racing on Wed, Friday and Sunday. lets plan a Saturday run over to the Boca Grande sand bar. Ill head it up if Stu doesnt already have something planned
Sounds good. I spoke with Steve about it and he's down so I'm sure we'll have a nice little OSO condingent running out. I just asked Steve to lead the way since we haven't run out to the sand bar before.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Also fuel at the Tiki Bar at Holiday Isles in Islamorada.
Make sure you have spare parts such as extra types of hoses, clamps and the such. Also any pertinent papers for the boat.
Florida has more marine enforcement agencies than we have in Texas. Been years since I,ve been check down there. Just be prepared for anything. What a blast. Did the run again last year with Clarks new boat and what a blast!! That's how we know about hoses.
Did in my 32AT years ago also.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

wow sounds like a good time this year will be the first one I have missed in the past 5 years
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Sounds good. I spoke with Steve about it and he's down so I'm sure we'll have a nice little OSO condingent running out. I just asked Steve to lead the way since we haven't run out to the sand bar before.

I ran out there last year and can easily get us all out there again. What is Steve running these days
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chuckbeecher
Also fuel at the Tiki Bar at Holiday Isles in Islamorada.
Make sure you have spare parts such as extra types of hoses, clamps and the such. Also any pertinent papers for the boat.
Florida has more marine enforcement agencies than we have in Texas. Been years since I,ve been check down there. Just be prepared for anything. What a blast. Did the run again last year with Clarks new boat and what a blast!! That's how we know about hoses.
Did in my 32AT years ago also.
The Tiki bar at Islamorada is our fuel / lunch stop on the way back home on Monday. Ill be leaving KW around 900 am on Monday am if you want to run with us
Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Registered

I have always wanted to do this run, we were thinking of trying it next year, what is the minimum size boat that could make it safely? Currently our boat is a 32 advantage, but hoping to upgrade by next year?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

We have done this run (05) and several FPC events including the Bahamas trips. Reliablilty is more valuable than speed. Our 32 Sunsation runs low 70's and has never failed to complete a poker run. A few of the other posts are correct, no one gets left behind, getting to Gilberts will be easy docking since you will be rafted on the outside row and FPC does a great job helping newcomers feel welcome. Even running at the back of the pack you won't get lost.

My biggest complaint with the KW run is that it is a long way to go on the way home. The Winter Rally is the same run but the destination is in Marathon at Hawk's Cay with a day trip to Key West the next day. This gives you the option of skipping the last 60 miles to Key West and if you still want to go you break the run into 2 days. The KWPR has the best hardware in the country but it is 150+ miles each way of fast boating. I would have much preferred having trailering out of KW at the end of the event which is what a few people do. I just was beat Sunday after drinking all the whole weekend, 150 mile ride back to Haulover, 90 mile trailer home, wash/flush boat then get back to work on Monday to pay for it all!

Quick Reply: Key West Poker Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.