Notices

Key West Poker Run

Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisistank
Dude, Brad, when you're Mr. FPC Safety Guruu Coast Guard God you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. I'm just trying dial things in a bit!

And as long as you show up to the dock with a cold beer in your hand for me, you can do whatever you want.
Don't forget he's a speed racer too. A little hard on the equipment though; I hear that's why they put him in an aluminum boat at LOTO?
Old 09-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im also in on the fun runs, I believe there is one on saturday with FPC.

Leave some info on who to contact or times that we need to meet and where..

Jim Kirkland said there is a run around the island in the evening that is awsome...

Thanks for all the hospitality guys....
Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

I'm curious as to why I never hear of anyone running outside around Key Biscayne and Ocean Reef/Key Largo down to Holiday Isle or Sunshine/Marathon when it's not big other than to go to Gilberts.
Seems it would be faster with not so many bridges and slowing in the mangrove channels for the fisherment.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbeecher
I'm curious as to why I never hear of anyone running outside around Key Biscayne and Ocean Reef/Key Largo down to Holiday Isle or Sunshine/Marathon when it's not big other than to go to Gilberts.
Seems it would be faster with not so many bridges and slowing in the mangrove channels for the fisherment.
Ive done that route many time. Its simple why they dont go that route. Its boring and not a scenic. Id agree with you that its the most direct but looking at shore from 3-4 mile out can get boring for everyone on the boat. You can do Miami to KW in 2-3 hours if you wanted, but thats not what the run is all about
Old 09-15-2007, 02:19 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by otis311
Ive done that route many time. Its simple why they dont go that route. Its boring and not a scenic. Id agree with you that its the most direct but looking at shore from 3-4 mile out can get boring for everyone on the boat. You can do Miami to KW in 2-3 hours if you wanted, but thats not what the run is all about

In addition to that, there is a reef out there a couple miles off and if you are not familiar with the water and the tide is low you can get yourself in trouble. It appears to be wide open water and you can head to the Bahamas but the reef can be hiding just inches below what appears to be very deep water. You have to keep in Hawks Channel and people that run without a GPS have to keep an eye on the markers that are very spread apart. On the inside other than Featherbed bank you barely need a GPS.

Hawks Channel is also for the large Boats as they can not run the inside (too shallow) so many times during the run you have to pull back for those 10-12 foot wakes.

I remember a certain boat on the Key West run that got in to trouble heading for the open water and crossed the reef, pictures can be found in the bloopers section of the Photos section of the site.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...o.php?photo=15
Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Registered

For those of you that normally do the Thursday run, approximately what time could I expect to see the first boat in Key West. I ask because I will there taking photos of all you as you come in.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by boater31v
For those of you that normally do the Thursday run, approximately what time could I expect to see the first boat in Key West. I ask because I will there taking photos of all you as you come in.

Thanks
You do take great pics! Here's a couple you took of us in 05. I think the group gets there around 1-2 or so.
Attached Thumbnails Key West Poker Run-71975461_yib4axzf.jpg   Key West Poker Run-72011357_tnjbhsov.jpg  
Old 09-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

I think the group gets there around 1-2 or so.
Thanks man, look forward to it.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

You do take great pics! Here's a couple you took of us in 05. I think the group gets there around 1-2 or so.
Were you drunk? Gilberts about noon. Usually see the first boats in KW about 4 ....most about 5 or after. If you look at most peoples pics you can see the sun is pretty far down on the horizon.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Were you drunk? Gilberts about noon. Usually see the first boats in KW about 4 ....most about 5 or after. If you look at most peoples pics you can see the sun is pretty far down on the horizon.
LMAO!!! Yea, I guess I was pretty drunk! Alright, you're right. About 4-5 I guess I just thought it was earlier with getting the boats docked, unloading the luggage and getting checked in and it still being light out....Shiiiiiiit, it was all a big blur!!

Quick Reply: Key West Poker Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.