Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Arneson Drive Pro's & Con's >

Arneson Drive Pro's & Con's

Notices

Arneson Drive Pro's & Con's

Old 01-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Cat & Mice

Post Arneson Drive Pro's & Con's

I already posted this in the tech Q&A but I need to get some answers fast so I thought I would put it here also:

We are woking on a 312 Formlua with twin 454's. Since we are adding Whipples and new Heads, We need to upgrade the drives. The customer was considering Arneson drives and since I have no experiance with them I just wanted to get the real deal. I was suggesting the New Imco SC with 1or2 inch shorter Lower's. But I want to help the customer amke the right choice, I don't want to steer him the wrong way beacause I don't know anything about Arneson. I know all about the Bravo and how it works and handles but I have never been in a boat with the Arnesons. I know that both will handle the Power that we are making but I don't know how they handle and perform.

Any Info would be great.

Pyle

Old 01-27-2002, 01:49 PM
Cat & Mice

Catmando, Ya I will check out the Weismann's also. I just am not sure that a surface drive makes the most sense for a pleasure 31ft v-bottom boat. This guy wants to ski his kids behind the boat.

Pyle

Old 01-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mike from the little bit i know they only work on cats or stepped hull boats,make sure they are not fixed trim you will need adjustable trim with maybe a blow out ring around the prop, Bruce would be a much better source of info on this good luck,Mark
Old 01-27-2002, 02:28 PM
Registered

The owner wants to pull skiers? Won't the surface drive throw out a rooster tail making it impossible to ski behind?
Old 01-27-2002, 02:53 PM
deepvcatss12

Had arnesons & 454s on a 30 scarab in 88. loved them. raced the same boat in P.R. in 91&92 and did will. geting on a plane and the rooster tail would make sking interesting
L.A.

Old 01-27-2002, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
I read Arneson’s web site, www.arneson-industries.com they make a Bravo to Arneson Conversion, sounds like the thing to use, and especially when it comes with a warranty. The drive has both rotation choices also.

I have seen a few boats that have had an Arneson and they skied behind it. 23’ Eliminator, even an 18’ Tahiti!

I have never seen a boat throw much of a rooster at 25-35 mph!

As far as a small V-bottom, 31’ is not small. I have seen them on the 24’ Python’s and even a 21’ Allison and everything worked well. Liberator used a lot of Arneson Drives and they are small boats.

31’ is way bigger than them.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Cat & Mice

Thanks for the help, I know that the Arnesons would work but I am wondering Why my customer thinks it would be better then the Imco Xtreme Bravo. Also the Arneson cost a little more. So with the Arnesons would you get better top speed or what, Why would someone go thru the expense?

Pyle

Old 01-27-2002, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Arnesons are excellent and I'm sure Rik from Arneson will jump in soon ! But I don't think the skiing is going to work the best .It will be just a little harder to plane and it will through roosters at all speeds ! I have them ,I know . They are just a little harder to steer atthe dock because the props are high in the water but a boat that size will probably be OK . THey are faster on top end ! They do make it a little dangerous to get on and off the back of the boat as they are farther out behind it and up near the surface . It looks like he wants the best of both worlds . Top end and ski . Maybe if he trim them all the way down it might not throw too much rooster but it would be a rough ride back there ! And it is harder to plane. for skiing you want the boat to take off fast and get you out of the water before you pull your arms off ! They are great,but maybe not the ideal thing for skiing . As for boat size and type ,There are all kinds around me . 39' Sutphen (V) down to an 18' Donzi that I think runs high 80's !

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: boot ]
Old 01-27-2002, 10:57 PM
Registered

It is going to be difficult to plane quick enough to ski behind with the IMCO shorties won't it. Maybe you should go with the Arneson's and have the guy by a ski boat. Then he has top end and he can pull skiers.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:27 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mr. C&M, email mail me and I will explain the cost of the Arneson’s. More expensive than IMCO might not be correct, especially when everything is taken into consideration. Our Bravo to Arneson Conversion is very competitively priced.

As for skiing, we have customers that ski with Arneson’s. At 25 mph there is no rooster tail to contend with, and all one has to do is trim the drive lower to eliminate it at most speeds. If he is speed skiing, get a longer rope….

We are doing a project with a few ski boat manufacturers to test an Arneson Surface Drive on an actual ski boat. Some people must think it will work.

With regards to maneuverability, last week there was a comparison test done of two 42’ Fountain Lighting’s, one with 500 EFI/Bravo’s and one with Yanmar 440/Arneson’s, everything else was identical. The Arneson boat not only went faster (83 vs. 77), it stayed on plane at slower speeds, handled better at slower speeds, docked better and was able to make tighter and faster turns than the Bravo boat.

Your customer sounds like a smart man!

Rik

Quick Reply: Arneson Drive Pro's & Con's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.