Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   A Stoopid thing when changing oil. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168868-stoopid-thing-when-changing-oil.html)

Quent 09-16-2007 06:35 PM

A Stoopid thing when changing oil.

I just changed my oil this weekend. This is probably the 100th plus oil change for me in my 59 years. I changed the filter, drained the oil, put in the exact oil weight and the exact amount. I ran the boat for 10 minutes at idle with a few revs to check for leaks. The right things. I then ran the boat about a quarter mile just on plane, then to 3000rpm. The oil pressure buzzer came on and I immediately shut off the engine, 3 or 4 seconds.

I opened the hatch and 5 or six quarts or oil occupied every square inch of my engine compartment. I did not check my old filter to see that the "o" ring came off with the filter. Two "o" rings will not hold 75 lbs of oil pressure. Five hours later I was marginally clean and fired up again with no problems, I hope. Please always check your old filter to see that the "o" ring came off. Stoopid Quent

PJDiesel 09-16-2007 06:48 PM

Sucks, but it does happen........

My brother in law trashed a 1994 F-150 (in about 1999 if I recall correctly) from the same exact thing.

Hope all turns out well, good of you to share your misfortune with others, maybe someone will avoid a similar problem.......

UNSANE 09-16-2007 06:49 PM

I did that once on my old truck, but I made a mess in the driveway idleing thankfully.

wananewboat 09-16-2007 07:11 PM

I did that with my old ski boat and lost 5 qts. on the rug. Every time it got wet the oil came to the top and I had to change the rug. I guess I was lucky that was all I had to change. Don't worry you will never make that mistake again.

Edward R. Cozzi 09-16-2007 07:41 PM

Probably THE most common mistake involving an oil change.

My friend wiped out a Lincoln Town car motor because there is no low oil pressure warning buzzer.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't lunch the engine.

DeepV 09-16-2007 07:49 PM

Ed,
How are you?
Trying to sell our 400SS you survey last year, you wouldn't happen to know anyone interested?
Great Boat, just to much boat, I want to go simpler, outboards.
Kurt

jafo 09-16-2007 08:20 PM

As the saying goes, there are those who have, and those who will. Good job in the shutdown and save of your engine.

One little trick that might help prevent this from happening- get in the habit of wiping of the sealing surface of the filter housing with a clean towel prior to installing the new filter- you'll notice the extra seal there at that thime if you do.
Jim

jayhawk261 09-16-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by jafo (Post 2273918)
As the saying goes, there are those who have, and those who will. Good job in the shutdown and save of your engine.

One little trick that might help prevent this from happening- get in the habit of wiping of the sealing surface of the filter housing with a clean towel prior to installing the new filter- you'll notice the extra seal there at that thime if you do.
Jim

The wiping the seal surface is what I was taught in auto shop class in high schools many years ago. It hasn't failed me yet. I'm glad you got it shut down in time. That could have been an expensive problem. Messes are easier to deal with than broken metal!

MitchStellin 09-16-2007 09:43 PM

Thats nothing...I once had a 5 gal bucket full to the top, it was under my truck which was on ramps, I went to back down the ramps and left the bucket under, the truck hooked it and dumped it....5 gallons of oil in the garage floor, heading down the drain....I kept that from happening but the rest was 2 hours of work. All to save a buck and some time, now I use a garage that I trust to do it, plus 14 quarts are hard to deal with.

Iggy 09-17-2007 04:59 AM

Been there, done that!!!!!
Two oil changes ago on my F-250, did the same thing. Replaced the filter and I sware I looked to see if the old seal was on the filter....started it up and I could hear liquid spraying onto the driveway. Then I smelled hot oil.....pumped out 3 quarts.

You know what.....I've been changing engine oil since 1969. This is the first time I ever had it happen.
It can happen to anyone.