Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Original milestones in hi-perf boat design. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168903-original-milestones-hi-perf-boat-design.html)

BROWNIE 09-17-2007 09:33 AM

Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.

In the late 50's, Ray Hunt built the original Deep Vee. It wasn't any faster in calm water, but it rode better in the rough. Dick Bertram had a 30 footer built (of wood) and ran it in the 1960 Miami-Nassau race. It averaged a blazing 22 MPH! A record that will never be broken! Since it was the 'only game in town', many of the former flat flat bottomed, tree wood, underpowered racers bought the fiberglass version, and it became the world standard of offshore racing. A 25' version followed, then the development of the Mercruiser and Volvo outdrives (instruments of the Devil). Engines got bigger and bigger, until some of the Bertrams could hit 60 mph. The Bertram/Hunt hull design was heavily patented, and was never successfully copied (who would want to)?

Along came the South Florida version of the 'carpetbaggers', who started cranking out deep vee's by the score. Who were they? A teenaged Harry Schoell did the Alim V-20, Jim Wynne and Walt Walters did the Wyn-Mil II, 17' precursor to the Formula Jr. Then they did the Formula 233 for Aronow. They later used similar lines to create the Donzi 16', 19', 28' and 35'. Long after, builders used those original boats to make "new" models. The 35' Donzi was given to Aronow by Teleflex in return for his breaking the non-compete clause (he did that a lot). The 35' Magnum was stretched to 38' then to 40', then to 44' and it got better and better as it got longer and longer. Then, they took the lines of the 40' Magnum, stretched them lengthwise a couple of feet, and expanded one and one quarter times to become the 53' Magnum. Aronow had previously used this trick to build the 49' Cary, which was exactly one and one half times expansion of the 32' Cary/Cigarette. The 28' Magnum, 32' Cary/Cigarette, 35' Cigarette were all Harry Schoell. Harry also did the 23' Magnum which became the basis for a hundred 7' wide hulls and boat companies. The was not much else. More later.

jafo 09-17-2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 2274313)
The 28' Magnum, 32' Cary/Cigarette, 35' Cigarette were all Harry Schoell. Harry also did the 23' Magnum which became the basis for a hundred 7' wide hulls and boat companies.

Considering Mr Schoell's history, Pat got it right using Harry in the design of the Active Thunder boats.:D

BROWNIE 09-17-2007 10:12 AM

Harry can think you under the table..... His original ideas go far afield from the boat business. He is currently developing a "green" vapor engine, with so many breakthrough ideas that will be thought of again in 50 years. Harry and I were having lunch one day about 15 years ago at Vila's, a Cuban restaurant in Davie. He and I had lunch there every Thursday when we were both working for Gentry Transatlantic. He said "You know, Brown, of all the things that you and I have developed for the boat business, we have s**t to show for it", Almost all of the transom mounted rudders on deep vee inboards were his designs or mine. "Let's design something for a car or a house". "OK, what"? "Let's do a toilet to begin with"! We met the next Thursday, and Harry had his design with him. It was, to say the least, original. "Where is yours"? I said "I have been working on sales and public relations. Since our company will be called Brown and Harry, our slogan will be 'what is Brown and Harry and sits in your bathroom"?

O.C.Barry 09-17-2007 10:37 AM

Obe Wan Kenobe-Brownie

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 2274313)
In the late 50's, Ray Hunt built the original Deep Vee. It wasn't any faster in calm water, but it rode better in the rough. Dick Bertram had a 30 footer built (of wood) and ran it in the 1960 Miami-Nassau race. It averaged a blazing 22 MPH! A record that will never be broken! Since it was the 'only game in town', many of the former flat flat bottomed, tree wood, underpowered racers bought the fiberglass version, and it became the world standard of offshore racing. A 25' version followed, then the development of the Mercruiser and Volvo outdrives (instruments of the Devil). Engines got bigger and bigger, until some of the Bertrams could hit 60 mph. The Bertram/Hunt hull design was heavily patented, and was never successfully copied (who would want to)?

Along came the South Florida version of the 'carpetbaggers', who started cranking out deep vee's by the score. Who were they? A teenaged Harry Schoell did the Alim V-20, Jim Wynne and Walt Walters did the Wyn-Mil II, 17' precursor to the Formula Jr. Then they did the Formula 233 for Aronow. They later used similar lines to create the Donzi 16', 19', 28' and 35'. Long after, builders used those original boats to make "new" models. The 35' Donzi was given to Aronow by Teleflex in return for his breaking the non-compete clause (he did that a lot). The 35' Magnum was stretched to 38' then to 40', then to 44' and it got better and better as it got longer and longer. Then, they took the lines of the 40' Magnum, stretched them lengthwise a couple of feet, and expanded one and one quarter times to become the 53' Magnum. Aronow had previously used this trick to build the 49' Cary, which was exactly one and one half times expansion of the 32' Cary/Cigarette. The 28' Magnum, 32' Cary/Cigarette, 35' Cigarette were all Harry Schoell. Harry also did the 23' Magnum which became the basis for a hundred 7' wide hulls and boat companies. The was not much else. More later.

Brownie - For some reason I always feel like young Luke Skywalker listening to Obe Wan Kenobe when you tell a story! Your stories are always the best! I'll ask again -WHEN are you finishing your book?

Regards, Barry

bobkatz 09-17-2007 11:12 AM

Where do we send the money for the Brownie book? Will there be a censored and uncensored version?

Luv the stories!!

underpressure 09-17-2007 11:25 AM

Brownie,

You never stop amazing me. Count me in on that book too and make sure it is as long as you can make it, do not leave out one story, uncensored of course. War and Peace be damned!

Look forward to seeing you at the Ft. Lauderdale show.

Carl

Semper Fi 09-17-2007 11:46 AM

Brownie,

Thanks for all your (true) stories and wisdom. It's awesome!

BROWNIE 09-17-2007 11:50 AM

Further to shrinking and stretching, Harry built the 28' Magnum for Don, and it became a popular racer. Don cut it down vertically to make the 27 and 28 foot Magnum Sport models. He swiped one when he sold Magnum to Apeco, and turned it into the 28' Cigarette. The 32' Cary/Cigarette was stretched to 36', then to 40', back to 39', up to 44' (Performer), down to 37' (Midnight Express) back to 36' (Mirage), down to 33' (Avanti) back to 32' (Contender, et al). The 35' went to 37 1/2", 38', 39' 41' (Apache), 44' (Slingshot), 47' (Apache), split for USA cat. The 23' Magnum became P and D, Excalibur, Superboat, and maybe 50 others. Before T2rex starts beating on me, Linder did the excellent 21' Challenger which became, Apache and several others. Ed Cozzi, the 32' Cary/Cigarette and the 35' Cigarette are entirely different. The 36' chine was drawn with a #43 Kand E ships curve, and the 35' chine is straight for the first 12'.

Semper Fi 09-17-2007 12:04 PM

Brownie,

That's alot of info! You have a great memory. It's really fascinating how boats were derived from another hull over and over again.

I look forward to reading your book someday also.

sommerfliesby 09-17-2007 12:07 PM

WOW! Awesome stuff....somebody should do a graphic "family tree!"