Notices

bad crash !!

Old 01-11-2002, 09:28 PM
HUFFPOWER

Post bad crash !!

just got to work and saw on hotboat website that the htm 30' cat crashed today at castaic lake in calif,possibly owner steve,ken lane,and one or two others were hurt,one may have been killed called my sis in castaic for news ,were not home,my sis and brother-in-law have a 24 htm will keep all posted,this is bad.

Old 01-12-2002, 12:10 AM
RiverDave

Unhappy

This is a terrible loss to the boating community.
Steve (Owner of HTM), Ken Lane (Engine Builder) and Chuck aka Mr.Pumps on the boards (HTM Racing) + 1 other (Unkown) were killed today at Castaic Lake.
The boat had run 150mph earlier this week (30 HTM Twin 950 HP motors) I'm unsure how fast the boat was going during the incident. For that matter it's unsure as to what happened. For right now 1 body has been recovered and the other three have not been found. Local news showed the area from an aerial view. There was no sign of the boat, but it left a huge oil slick (more likely fuel) where it happened.

For the east coasters,

Lake Castaic is a very small (about 7-8 miles with a large C shape) but VERY DEEP lake, more then 300' in that area. They are currently looking for the wreckage of the boat and the bodies. The water is pretty murky on that lake..

I sincerely wish there was something I could do for the families to ease there pain.
RD

Old 01-12-2002, 01:00 AM
HavasuCat

This is terrible news for the boating world. My condolences to the families. The latest I have heard now is that there were no survivors.

For those on this board who don't know, one of the people that is presumed dead is a regular on the HotBoat message board (Mrpumps). I frequent that board just as I do OSO, and it is like losing a friend. I am sure RiverDave and Huffpower feel the same. What a sad day.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: HavasuCat ]

Old 01-12-2002, 01:07 AM
HUFFPOWER

riverdave,i talked to my brother-in-law just a bit ago,if you read on hotboat,"sad day for htm",i have written a post,my sis and brother-in-law were one of the first there at the lake,the other person killed was ken's assistant,nelson my brother-in-law is very close friends with steve/lia/kids and ken,and chuck wiseman(aka mrpumps)..i feel bad for them

Old 01-12-2002, 02:17 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened. My condolences to all the families.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:22 PM
RiverDave

Unhappy

HuffPower, I'm still in shock that this happened. I was talking to Chuck on his cell phone right before they went for the power run. I was giving him sh*t for not inviting me to go along with him becuase he promised me a 140mph ride. I can't even describe to you how shook up I am about this. With the blink of an eye life changes. I sincerely wish there was something we could do for the families to ease there pain.

RD

Old 01-12-2002, 04:10 PM
jb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear the news. I hope all safety precautions were followed. Sometimes we take for granted all the testing in these High performance boats we have. We dont realize the risks some of these manufacturers take for our fun and safety. Hope the families can find peace. Never a right time for that news.
jb
Old 01-12-2002, 04:42 PM
HydroScream

oh chit... thats awful...

Old 01-12-2002, 05:04 PM
One Bad Cat

Red face

This couldnt be a worse day for the Families and Friends of the deceased.
I bet if Steve and the other fellows wanted us to learn One thing from this Tragedy, It would be to wear our Life Jackets more often.
Especially when testing and running high speeds. God Bless .... :

Old 01-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Charter Member #1528

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... I am sorry to hear this....
My condolences go out to all family and friends of the men involved.

Quick Reply: bad crash !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.