I'm looking for an Aluminum Boatlift >

I'm looking for an Aluminum Boatlift

Notices

I'm looking for an Aluminum Boatlift

Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Thanks Guys. Anyone hear of Quality lifts by Lycos?

They have a model I am interested in.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barry, i have a 16,000 lb aluminum HI-TIDE lift...it is in it's 2nd season and have had no problems with it so far. My good friend is a dock builder, and recomends HI-TIDE to all his customers. MarylandMark, not to contradict, but is your problem install related, or product related? Do you have the Toppless model?....Let me know how you guys make out.. Good Luck, Eric
Old 09-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
I have a 10K Elevator lift.

The friction of the cables winding is causing them to "splinter". I see that as a design flaw.

The 3 failed limit switches- I see that as just being junk.

The manufacturer allowing this dealer to represent their product- I see that as just plain stupid.

The install- shoddy at best. The board holding the control box is crap, the wiring to the individual motors from the control box was very sloppy, etc. Those are not product problems but installer issues, however all of it falls back on the manufacturer.

Things break- how it is handled when they break is what matters.

Lets seperate the problem you're having with the dealer and Hi-Tide since they are not the same. I own 3 hi-tide lifts that I installed in 1992, I have yet to have a single problem. If your cables are not winding properly then its an install issue not a hi-tide issue although you could argue that they should better qualify their dealers. I've put in hundreds of these lifts, sold the biz in 2000 and only had a handful of call backs mostly because of something the customer had done.

If I were you I would call hi-tide directly and speak to them about the dealer. I know they are under "new" management since Rich Greene passed (past pres) but they have always been extremely responsive.

Dealer issues can happen with any product, I lost count of how many bids I lost only to have the customer call me begging I come fix their xyz brand lift. My response has always been "I can replace your lift with a Hi-tide then I would be happy to service it."

There are a lot of great lifts out there, he is the "non manufacturer" specific advise I could give.
1 service. Drive around your area and talk to people that own lifts to find out how the service has been. Many lift dealers are also pile drivers/bulk headers, so getting them back is tough.
2 warranty - min 10 years on the structure 2 on the motors
3 products liability insurance - yea everyone has it sort of, just how much sueing you need to do to collect.
4 ask how much weight overage the lift is rated for. I've seen 18,000# boats on 12,000# lifts without an issue.

Finally, especally maryland mark, if you have an elevator MAKE 100 SURE that a complete disconnect switch has been installed. This switch must not only cut the power but also needs to cut the ground going to the lift. Otherwise you're looking at rotted beams (usually at the mud line) in a few short years. Most importanly you need to turn the switch after you're done with the lift for the day.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Thanks, I just called them. Pretty nice folks. Anyone here have any experience with their product?
I have one a 13000 lb with remote very happy with it.Cost me 5500.00 with tax and delivery 1400.00 for the pilings and 1000.00 for the install.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:28 PM
SDH
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give High-Tide a look they make a good product. Mr.Velocity is right the dealer is critical. Here is a good one in MD:
Annapolis Marine Construction
Andy Brickman
[email protected]
http://www.annapolismc.com
(410) 224-2424
Knows the product and stands behind his service.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Mr_Velocity installed approximately 10 High Tide lifts at our marina.... Over the years they have been virtually trouble free and we haven't had many problems with them at all....

Mr_V can confirm but I believe my lift was installed in the late 90's.... I have kept my boat(s) on the lift for the past 5 years and in that time the only thing I've replaced is a pulley that got stuck because I forgot to grease the lift, power wire from the circuit panel to the lift (marina's bad wiring), the wires going from one motor to the other (marina hit the conduit with an axe while chopping ice in the winter) and the wireless lifting box which Mr_V gave me for FREE.....

Other issues with cables freying were always due to the owners improper use of the lift.....

Old 09-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Barry, I just had a 14,000 lbs Gatorvator installed. I am extremely happy with the results. It is an aluminum beamless and is very well built. Give SE Atlantic Boatlifts a call and ask for Bob. Tell him Frank Areces sent you. They will take care of you. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails I'm looking for an Aluminum Boatlift-lift2.jpg   I'm looking for an Aluminum Boatlift-lift.jpg  
Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

This is all helpful info. Thanks!

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598