Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT - how to move on after a separation? >

OT - how to move on after a separation?

Notices

OT - how to move on after a separation?

Old 01-12-2002, 09:12 AM
kook

Unhappy OT - how to move on after a separation?

Looks like my g/f and I are calling it quits, on good, but sad, terms. Been together for over a year. Not interested in bar scene. Looking for advice on how to weather this storm. Things are OK for a while, until something brings up the thought of her - like who's gonna be my first mate this season - won't be the same w/o her.

I'm not real sentimental, but it still hurts - the memories, etc.. Without a doubt the most fun I've had with a woman has been with her. And NO, I doubt there is anything we can do to get back together - we went to a counselor for a few visits, and that (apparently) did not resolve our differences.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: kook ]

Old 01-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yo man.. your boat will be back soon. I know it's hard seeing it being trailered down the road behind another truck, but it's all for the better. If things don't work out with that boat, there are lots of other boats out there!

You were talking about boats right? I wouldn't want to have to revoke your "guy card" for a sentimental display.

Seriously, if you are going to counseling and not even married... that's a bad sign anyway. Probably better to happen sooner rather than later. Suck it up and move on.

BT
Old 01-12-2002, 09:31 AM
GOT MERC?

Unhappy

Hey kook,
I feel for ya man! Been through the same thing but I went as far as to buy a ring and all that mess. Just look at it this way you two could have done the deal(marriage) then things wouldn't have worked out then you would have been in even a larger mess. Hats off to both of you for seeking counseling. You really need to go away for a little while get out of the surroundings your in. Sooner or later you will hook up again and you will say to yourself exgirlfriend who?
Old 01-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
kook- since we are in the same boat, i'm in no position to give any advice, but spending time with friends and family is helping me to pass the time. as long as i'm busy and my mind is off of her, things aren't so bad. the idle time on nights and weekends is rough.....

jbk
Old 01-12-2002, 09:59 AM
kook

Unhappy

jbk:

Yes, the idle time on weekends (e.g. right now) is the killer.

FWIW, I still want(ed) to continue the relationship. A while ago, I was the one who wanted out. We did a couple visits to a counselor, and I thought we were making *some* progress - lines of communications opened up some, we realized that what we *thought* the other person was thinking was not always the case, due to poor communication on both sides - I'm piss poor at communicating "feelings", but she was even worse - imagine that.

Things seemed to be on the "up" - we were in contact with each other every day by phone and/or e-mail - just saw each other earlier this week..... even had plans on going down to the beach this weekend, staying at my folks beach house....... Then at about 5PM yesterday I get a "Dear John" e-mail! Says one of her resolutions for the year was to do focus on what makes her happy (she's had it a lot worse than me - 10 years of a lonely marriage that ended a few years ago, disfunctional family, etc). Evidently she was not "happy enough" with our situtation. I thought it was a friggin' joke - had to make sure the date wasn't April 1st! I get on the horn to her and sure enough, no joke. Wham - hit me and I didn't see it coming.

I'm sure that there is not "someone else" - this is one area we communicated well, and both can not lie about that type of thing and be able to sleep at night.

Old 01-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

Kook,

Two pieces of advise:

If you really want her back the best thing would be to let her go. No calls no email, no email replies, nothing... dead silence. She'll be back inside or two week begging your forgiveness.

Second... absolutely no country music. Hard rock only and none of those sissy songs.

Good luck... and if your not re-hitched by spring, or hooked up with someone new, I'll have you over to pick out some new trim from the campground-marina scene. Usually a few sweeties looking for a ride on a fast boat.

Dave
Old 01-12-2002, 12:12 PM
flylevel

Kook;
Sorry to hear about your break up. Did you know this girl long? You guys went to a counselor after 1 year of dating? Boating season is coming up and hell so are all the boat shows. Good luck.

PS ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD.

Old 01-12-2002, 12:25 PM
fermin

Yea, good thing you didn't marry her they would have split your boat in two, you know that 50/50 thing. This is painless that would have been painfull.

Anyways good luck finding your next tomata.

joey

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: joeyoffshore ]

Old 01-12-2002, 12:29 PM
kook

Dave:

Understood - if it wasn't made to be, then I won't hear back from her.

Regarding the 50/50 split of assets - she's a six figure woman ($$$, not lbs.) with a lot of dough saved up, so I wouldn't have lost out there at all - not at all

Old 01-12-2002, 12:39 PM
fermin

Alright, look at it this way. She's gone along with her fat wallet, you should pick up 3-5mph. Now that's money well spent!

joey

Quick Reply: OT - how to move on after a separation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.