Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
If you were getting a new boat..... >

If you were getting a new boat.....

Notices

If you were getting a new boat.....

Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you were getting a new boat.....

How would you go about picking up a new(used) boat........

Seriously considering getting this :

1998 Sea Ray 310 Sundancer - US$53,000.00

This is what i have figured out so far, so please correct me if i am wrong:

I figured the monthly cost will be about 650 for the boat and insurance, maybe another 300 for a slip(still doing research on that)......

Gas will be depend on how much i use the boat......

I wanted to keep the the boat at my house, but i am not sure how big/string of a vehicle i would need to trailler the boat. I was thinking about buying a Tundra, but again did not look at its towing capacity yet.

But in general, just trying to gather as much info as possible regarding this impending purchase.....

So spill your gut, i'm trying to learn you guys trial & errors......

Viper

Last edited by V i p e r; 09-24-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Tundra's only pull about 8500 lbs and that Searay will be heavy and wide for towing.

The Searay will be slower than say a Formula 310 SS/ 330 SS with the same power. The Formula is a sportier boat.

That Searay wouldn't be an ideal poker run boat(as per your other thread).

The offshore boat in the picture in the background(over the helm of the Searay) looks like a cooler choice.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That boat is 14,000# dry, and is 10'6" wide.
You need a special permit to pull anything over 8'6". Not impossible, but a pain in the azz everytime you want to move it.

But most importantly, 14,000# is massive. Add another 2000# in fuel and stuff and probably another 3000+ for its trailer. You need a serious truck to pull that.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

That's not exactly a boat you want to trailer on a regular basis. I don't know the beam, but if its wider than 8'6", you may run into Wide Load Permit issues.

Remember, you are not just towing the weight of the boat. You have to factor in the weight of the trailer, full tank of fuel (6lbs/gallon), water (8lbs/gallon), coolers, gear, tools, etc. etc. It adds up FAST.

DEFINITELY NOT A RULE, but a good beginning guideline:
More than 7,000 lbs. towed; you want at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.
More than 11,000 lbs. towed, you will tow it noticeably better with a 1 ton dually.

Per your other thread, you are interested in Poker Runs. Speed is definitely not a factor in Poker Runs, but that's not the style of boat that Performance Boat orientated poker runs typically draw.

Biggest question you need to answer is HOW ARE YOU GOING TO USE THE BOAT?

Day trips out with several friends?
Simple poker runs with two-three friends?
Weekend trips with the family?
Long distance trips?

If you are new to boating, you probably want to start off with a 18-25 foot single engine runabout. Learn the rules and laws of the water, the boats limits, and your limits; and THEN move up. Buy a used boat, one that has had a few dock knocks, because you are bound to add to them.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-24-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Tundra's only pull about 8500 lbs and that Searay will be heavy and wide for towing.

The Searay will be slower than say a Formula 310 SS/ 330 SS with the same power. The Formula is a sportier boat.

That Searay wouldn't be an ideal poker run boat(as per your other thread).

The offshore boat in the picture in the background(over the helm of the Searay) looks like a cooler choice.
It looks like a cooler choice but i have a family of 6, so i'm looking for something that can accomodate my family, plus any "guest" that may come on board.......

Viper
Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Registered

It looks like a great boat, but...

There is NO WAY that you want to keep that boat at your house and "trailer" it back and forth to the lake!

Pick your favorite lake and research the marinas. Find one you like and get a wet slip (not dry stack).

Then hire a prefessional to move the boat from its current location to your lake.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
That's not exactly a boat you want to trailer on a regular basis. I don't know the beam, but if its wider than 8'6", you may run into Wide Load Permit issues.

Remember, you are not just towing the weight of the boat. You have to factor in the weight of the trailer, full tank of fuel (6lbs/gallon), water (8lbs/gallon), coolers, gear, tools, etc. etc. It adds up FAST.

DEFINITELY NOT A RULE, but a good beginning guideline:
More than 7,000 lbs. towed; you want at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.
More than 11,000 lbs. towed, you will tow it noticeably better with a 1 ton dually.

Per your other thread, you are interested in Poker Runs. Speed is definitely not a factor in Poker Runs, but that's not the style of boat that Performance Boat orientated poker runs typically draw.

Day trips out with several friends?
Weekend trips with the family?
Long distance trips?

If you are new to boating, you probably want to start off with a 18-25 foot single engine runabout. Learn the rules and laws of the water, the boats limits, and your limits; and THEN move up. Buy a used boat, one that has had a few dock knocks, because you are bound to add to them.

#2 - Day trips out with several friends?
#1 - Weekend trips with the family?
Long distance trips?

The question about the "Poker Run" was only because i saw that term being used quite a bit, so i figured i'd ask the expert what it meant & was all about.......

"That's not exactly a boat you want to trailer on a regular basis."

I had that though in the back of head, but now that it has been confirmed......... Its back t o the drawning board for me......

Viper
Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

As they said you need to figure out how you want to use this boat. a cruiser is a great relaxing day all the time, powerboats are a different kind of relaxing. if you want more than 6-8 people it not going to work on a regular powerboat.
i'd take the advice of Sydwayz
Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a boat for you Viper....

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o18669-en.html

Newer, probably much less hours, will hold 13 easily, and still has some "cruiser comforts" without getting a cruiser, and will easily run 60.
Its 3' longer than that Sea Ray as well.
Boat weighs 9800 lbs and its beam is 9'6". Tows great behind a F-350 diesel.

There's room in there, I'm a motivated seller. call me. Mark

Last edited by eichhoma; 09-24-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Towing that Searay every time you used it would be a great way to save on gas $$. You'd never use it.

Quick Reply: If you were getting a new boat.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.