eBay boat shopping question

Notices

eBay boat shopping question

Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eBay boat shopping question

I searched for an answer to this question and didn't find one. If it's on here somewhere, my apologies.

Are most eBay boat purchases final upon close-of-auction or contingent upon a boat survey? I'd like to know how you experienced folks out there have worked this.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you looking for?

I have found that if it is a sale that ends with the auction then the price reflects the risk you are taking without a survey. You can also contact the ebay member and ask about a survey.

I bought a boat on ebay sight unseenother than photos but I think the price reflected it and it has worked out well for me.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Depending on the boat/situation, I'd make the sale contingent on a survey & not exchange any money until you're satisfied with the deal. Be sure you have an email from the seller agreeing to your terms just in case the deal falls through due to bad survey and he decides to blast your feedback rating in retaliation. I believe you can then appeal your negative feedback and have it removed with proof of the terms of sale (email) and survey results.

On the otherhand, I purchased an inexpensive 21' v-bottom with motor & trailer on ebay and looked it over in person prior to exchanging any money. Upon inspection I renegotiated the price based on the many things I found wrong with it.

Good Luck!!
Dan
Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are paying good money for the boat (more than 1/2 retail) then I think a survey would be a reasonable request. If you are killing them on price that should be factored in the deal. Bid accordingly.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

I bought a Whaler due to an ebay ad but the deal was done in person after a sea trial. The boat was killer (actually an OSO'r mentioned it after I started a thread) but I didn't want to get outbid by a 10 year old kid with a dream his dad would loan him the money for it. I bid on it, contacted the seller and communicated via email/ phone for a day or so. I asked him to delist the boat so I could buy it the next weekend in person. He wouldn't take a deposit, I drove to Daytona and sea trialed the boat and paid him cash at the boat ramp. Boat was a 15 Whaler with a 4 stroke Yamaha 60 with 24 hours on it (mint 97 hull, new 06 motor, new 06 trailer). With a new motor/ trailer and it being a simple whaler a survey was unnecessary but if you seem to be a serious buyer then the seller should work with you. If they won't work with you then pass on the boat.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are entering into a legally binding contract by bidding and if your bid is the winner, you're bound completely and solely to the terms of the auction and by the auctions' participant agreement. You bid on the boat and it doesn't say in the auction that you can decline to purchase it for any reason, it's your boat.

Boats on Ebay generally don't bring top dollar. If someone wants a known entity, they should probably be talking to dealers, brokers, provate sellers and certainly surveyors. If you want to roll the dice in hopes of getting a deal, Ebay is a good place to go. There's still no free lunch- you get what you get.

At the same time, if you show up and the boat is lesser than represented by a substantive amount, you could certainly make the argument that there was misrepresentation by the seller. In order to use that as a reason for refusing to consummate the purchase, you first would have to provide the seller the opportunity to satisfactorally remediate the issue.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:38 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Lifes about risk.. some times you win and some times you lose. Just have to keep the win column bigger.
I bought my boat over the internet from a guy in S.C. He sent pictures, we talked finally got him to come up to Indiana I exchanged
a wad of cash for a title and a boat in a gas station....w/a loaded 9mm in my belt Turned out to be a great deal......
Old 09-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You are entering into a legally binding contract by bidding and if your bid is the winner, you're bound completely and solely to the terms of the auction and by the auctions' participant agreement. You bid on the boat and it doesn't say in the auction that you can decline to purchase it for any reason, it's your boat.
Exactly.
Although online and sight-unseen, an eBay auction is no different than an auction you would attend in person. If you're the winning bidder, you own it. Imagine the reception you would receive as a winning bidder at a live auction if you won a boat with your bid and then stated "just kidding"!
You should make every attempt to find out everything there is to know about the boat prior to auction end, including a survey if you want to have one done.
Keep in mind that a good deal of sellers on eBay are selling BECAUSE of the lack of easy access issue; it's much simpler to unload junk and hide problems when you don't have to entertain tire-kickers and people taking a closer look i.e placing a local ad.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered

Any time you make an investment in a boat worth more than a few grand either call a marina/firm in that area to survey the boat if you can't go look at it. You can also do like mentioned above and work with the seller. I feel an honest seller just trying to move a boat will be willing to work with you every way he or she can. Myself as a general rule, if I'm putting over $10,000 in it, rather if its a bare hull project or a complete turn key boat I am going to inspect it myself before I ever bid on it or buy it, just keeps me out of trouble. Have I missed a few good deals, probably so...........but I also know what I have and its condition as well.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
Lifes about risk.. some times you win and some times you lose. Just have to keep the win column bigger.
I bought my boat over the internet from a guy in S.C. He sent pictures, we talked finally got him to come up to Indiana I exchanged
a wad of cash for a title and a boat in a gas station....w/a loaded 9mm in my belt Turned out to be a great deal......
Yep, I like your attitude.
I bought my boat from another OSO member, and traveled 7 hours to pick it up with a wad of cash. I also considered carrying the 9mm,(not because of the seller, but you never know who you're gonna run into on the way...) The only reason I didn't was because the wife was freaking out that I was crossing 4 states and it likely would have been a bad thing if I got pulled over, or had any problems towing it home.

Quick Reply: eBay boat shopping question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.