Notices

Scoop Mounting Question

Old 09-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Scoop Mounting Question

Im going to mount a scoop i just had a quick question about it. When i do cut the hole, is the hole just the size of the air cleaner assmebly or do i make it the size of the scoop. I only ask because if its the size of the cleaner it forces all the air in the engine. If its the size of the scoop some of the cold air gets directed to the motor to cool that off. So what size do i cut?????
Old 09-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not the guy to answer this question from a performance aspect, but I would think if you only cut it for the flame arrestor, you're going to accumulate a lot of dirt over time inside the scoop - which will evetually clog the flame arrestor, and be a bitsh to clean. If you cut it wide open and clean, you'll still be introducing air, but it won't be as "forced".
I'm sure the experts will chime in, but those are my initial thoughts.
And remember - If you ask the question, you're required to post pics
Old 09-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cut it the size of the scoop. This will also ventilate the engine compartment.with a ton of fresh cool air.

Darrell.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need to add vents for air out. The scoop will only let in what can get out. Often this can be done with a hatch door type vent on the stern somewhere. In an extreme case it is possible to swell the hatch even blow it off. Have you ever noticed on the back of the tunnel race boats that flap that blows open? Good luck,
Jim
Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever size you cut it, you should make a carb mounted pan so only cool outside air is fed to the engine. More than just a little free power vs. warmer under hatch air.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you want to make a tray and seal the hatch to separate the compartment air from the outside air that is one way to do it. I think that way is more involved. If you circulate enough air thru the scoop and thru engine compartment it will do the same thing. Different ways to achieve the same thing, ambient air to the engine.
Jim
Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Default pics of scoop

pics
Attached Thumbnails Scoop Mounting Question-0929071131.jpg   Scoop Mounting Question-0929071131b.jpg  
Old 09-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Bouy all for you man, Also if anyone ever need something painted let me know this work is the best. Let me know what you think. If you look at the 1st pic its ghosted 572 SCI. And the 572 pic is the evntilation holes for the scoop pretty trick no? let me know what you guys think its true fire with the colors of my boat
Old 09-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
You may need to add vents for air out..... . Have you ever noticed on the back of the tunnel race boats that flap that blows open? Good luck,
Jim

Good advice. I also have a 12"x12" trap door that is part of the engine cover. It opens when overpressured.
It's upolstered and blends in with the rest of the hatch. It uses a simple stainless piano hinge and opens and closes as needed.

Darrell.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Do as you can see i just popped the 572 in the back i like it thinlk its differant

Quick Reply: Scoop Mounting Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.