Cruising America's Great Loop

Notices

Cruising America's Great Loop

Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cruising America's Great Loop

I met a boater at local marina who has been traveling on his boat for last yr. He left Tennessee on Tenn-Tom, down to intercoastal, around Fla, up east coast, into St Lawrence Seaway, Great lakes. And was now going to Missipp River via Chicago/Calumet River.

It sounded like a great adventure, that I'd like to do at some point in future. (maybe not on my 353)

His log book including lots of photos: one set shows a lock in Canada, that involves putting your boat on a huge cradel on tracks that drops 100' http://pogopelli.blogspot.com/

http://www.greatloop.com
Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an excellent article in this month's Lakeland Boating magazing on this topic covering all of the routes. Worthwhile reading.
Jim
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BL6

His log book including lots of photos: one set shows a lock in Canada, that involves putting your boat on a huge cradel on tracks that drops 100' http://pogopelli.blogspot.com/

http://www.greatloop.com
That would be this cradle.. It is called " Big Chute". It is on the Trent Severn Waterway between Georgian Bay and Lake Couchiching in Ontario. Its a fun ride and absolutely beautiful.

I have done 90% of the "Circle" and have avoided the locks on the Hudson just about as long as I can. One of my few "missing links".

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Cruising America's Great Loop-2003_0706_175220aa.jpg   Cruising America's Great Loop-2003_0706_180918aa.jpg   Cruising America's Great Loop-2003_0706_180801aa.jpg  

Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

There was an article in Motor Boating Magazine a month or two ago on this. It sounded like a lot of fun, and a great adventure.

Michael
Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 AM
BL6
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Bob - tell me more about your trips. Are you trailering back & forth & picking up where you left off? Taking so many weeks/months per year? Looks like you have a great boat, working well for cruising? Thoughts/comments/tips?
thanks!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing the great loop is a dream I have and hope that I can do it in the next five years.

I first learned about it almost seven years ago and started reading up. Then a couple that are members of the same Yacht Club that we are headed out two years ago late spring out of Charleston going North but they did not complete the trip.

While on a long weekend year before last on the Tennessee River we met a couple that were not only in the middle of the trip but this was their third trip and they were on the way to a meeting in Alabama of several members of the Great Loop Society.

Their boat is the one right behind my 36 on the left. It was nice having coffee with him in the mornings and hearing about their trips.

I think a 34 to 36 foot cruiser would be perfect for this trip.

The other pictures are us going through the lock just east of Chatanoogia.
Attached Thumbnails Cruising America's Great Loop-dsc08933.jpg   Cruising America's Great Loop-dsc08675.jpg   Cruising America's Great Loop-dsc08684.jpg  

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 10-02-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
That would be this cradle.. It is called " Big Chute". It is on the Trent Severn Waterway between Georgian Bay and Lake Couchiching in Ontario. Its a fun ride and absolutely beautiful.

I have done 90% of the "Circle" and have avoided the locks on the Hudson just about as long as I can. One of my few "missing links".

Bob
Man that is wild!

Looks like a beautiful area.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BL6
Bob - tell me more about your trips. Are you trailering back & forth & picking up where you left off? Taking so many weeks/months per year? Looks like you have a great boat, working well for cruising? Thoughts/comments/tips?
thanks!
Don't want to hi jack the thread ........but since you asked I will tell you about some of my trips. First my current boat is not ideal for this sort of thing as it is a little "too high perf". Stock powered boats are probably better with the availability of regular gas or diesel even better. I have on order a new 50 NT with tripple Yanmar diesels so I can get back into more long range cruising. That will be ready in March ...... won't it Terry ! LOL

One segment was in a Cig Top Gun from Marco Island around the Gulf to New Orleans. 3 days. Flew home and made arrangements to have boat picked up and trailered back.

Another segment was in a Formula 419. Boat was trailered from MI to Cincinatti. Went from Cinci down the Ohio River and then south thru Kentucky, Lake Cumberland and Tennissee Tom Bigbee Waterway. Arrived in Mobile Alabama at the Dog River Marina to be told I could not leave the boat there as a hurricane was expected in 2 days. We pulled the boat and did an end run around it, trailering it to Marco.

Have gone south to the Keys and up the east coast numerous times. Usually when taking a boat north or south in spring or fall. Once went from Norfolk, VA to Jacksonville, FL in 2.5 days.

2 years ago a buddy ask for help taking his boat south to FL, from Kingston on Lake Ontario. I said with one condition - he trailer to Troy, NY to miss all the locks on the Hudson. Wishing now I had got that behind me. Half way thru the trip he got a call the boat was sold. We loaded it on a trailer and headed for the airport. Was glad as his cruising speed was only 35 MPH and I was looking for a way out . LOL

Have done all the Great Lakes except Superior so the gaps I have left to finish are from Chicago south to the Ohio River, from Lake Ontario to Troy, NY and either do the Welland Canal or finish doing the Trent Severn Waterway. Then I guess I will have finished the Loop.

Funny story. At one of the boat shows either Miami or Ft Lauderdale there was a booth set up giving out info on the Loop. I asked someone there when I finish it " what do I get ? " Guy says - " dunno, well I guess we could give you a T shirt". LOL

Bob
Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Man that is wild!

Looks like a beautiful area.
Dock / BL6, maybe think about coming up to Canada next summer and join us on our Can / Am Tour of Georgian Bay. You will not find more beauty anywhere in the world.

I have a thread going in "Boating By Region" under "Great Lakes and Canada". It is called " Summer 2008 Can / Am Georgian Bay Tour ". Check it out.

Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 10-02-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typooo
Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two books i know of on the subject,"honey, let's get a boat"(author unknown to me) and "dreamrider" by Larry G. Harcum,the latter is about doing it on a pwc,has always been a dream of mine.(in a boat of course)

Quick Reply: Cruising America's Great Loop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.