What would be the perfect boat storage facility >

What would be the perfect boat storage facility

Notices

What would be the perfect boat storage facility

Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be the perfect boat storage facility

I have the opportunity to purchase 12 acres of land South of Baton Rouge near a boat launch off of the Amite River near Diversion Canal.

I am thinking of building a boat storage facility. The property is not very wide, but very long. I am a general contractor, and have the heavy equipment and manpower to clear the land and build the entire facility.

What are the things you need or want the most at a facility?

What are the things you could do without at a facility?

Should all of the storage be indoor, or some of both? It was suggested to me to also sell gasoline and oils at the site, and most boats would fill up on site.

I would like ideas on the things that other owners are doing right, and what they are doing wrong.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this Johnny Mack? Are you aware of the guy that was gonna build a dry stack in Port Vincent ? I might have some valueable information for you.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:22 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me any time. I owned a drystack for 7 years. Can give you lots of info.

Bill
Old 10-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Registered

I would definately have it heated if winters are below freezing there. That woudl be a big plus to your renters. Are you thinking more along the lines of rack storage or more of storage type units with each one having their own garage door so they can stay inside but have complete access to their boats at any given time?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you seen the info for the new Eliminator(i think) storage facility? Might get some ideas from that as well.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Registered

Not sure if the storage facility you are thinking of building is on the water or not, but this is what I like and don't like about my current storage facility.
My current storage is a heated dry rack storage on the water. I love that I can drop by have and them drop it in the water, and I'm gone. They rinse, and flush it before racking it again.
The reason I am leaving them after two years is, They can/will not drop my boat from the rack onto my trailer.
For me to take the boat to the shop for repairs and maint., or trailer it to the many poker runs during the summer, I had to drop it in the water, drive to a near by ramp, and pull the boat out on the trailer. Then I had to do the same in reverse when I wanted to get it back in storgae.
Too much work for me, and not a one person job.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

insurance.....people can't get decent wind/hail coverage south of i-12 xcept through the state(citizens) on a home ..

so , don't know how $$$ your looking at for insurance for that type of biz...just something to think about...

cost/ return ratio too..alot of investment for the building ,travel lift or fork lift , bulkhead , (concrete which is outta sight these days) racks , etc...

how wide vs. length? what would be the longest boat you could rack and include the lift with room for movement?

i'm no contractor , just things to consider....
Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

Property is not on the water. It is located approx 1-2 miles from a ramp. I was thinking more on the line of a large one story building with several independent storage units with garage doors. Sort of like a Lock and Leave It Storage. All units would be covered.

Each owner could store a trailered boat in unit. I would offer units that are climate controlled, to units that are covered and fenced in, not in a building. Could have units to hold boats from less than 20' to 50' or longer to accomidate the trailer.

I think of all the boat owners who live in sub divisions that restrict storage buildings. Would offer security cameras so that owners could log onto internet to see their boat.

Could build a couple of boat wash bins with high pressure washers, and flush.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

now that sounds like a potential money maker! still long term..

security would be number 1 on the list though. defintally gated and well lit plus security cameras. don't know where exactly your talking about but thieves are everywhere.

also , if the lot is deep but not wide you have to compensate for the tow vehicle that each renter would use and how much space they actually need to jacknife a trailer into a stall .

again just my 2 cents ,some people can slip 40 ft trailers into a shoebox while some poeple couldn't back a sea doo in a garage to save their life
Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

The property is approx 264' x 3000'. That is pretty narrow, but I would have to draw it on paper to see what setup would be the best.

I know how people are at backing up trailers, so I figure I could make each unit drive through, with doors on each side so even a inexperienced driver could pull the trailer into the bin.

I am checking on wetland status, and the 100 year flood levels. If the property is a wetland, US Corps of engineers permits are out of the question. I am going to get a cost estimate together. Like I said, I can clear the property, haul in and spread any dirt needed, form and pour the slab, and sub out the metal buildings. Concrete the climate controlled units, and limestone the rest of the site. 8' Hurricane fence with razor wire top. Door King automatic gate like the one found at appt buildings with owners supplied with keyless entry pads.

I think that selling gas would be a big plus. Most people using the storage could fill up their boats before leaving or upon returning. I could rig up a pump with a very long hose to accomodate boats with twin tanks.

Maybe hire someone to detail boats there during the week or weekends.

Just thinking out loud.

What would a boat owner be willing to pay to house thier boat in a climate controlled facility as described above? I would need to know this to see how many units or time it would take to pay itself off.

Thanks,

Wes

Quick Reply: What would be the perfect boat storage facility

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.