Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SEA DOO 951 SBT BRAND NEW MOTOR any ideas >

SEA DOO 951 SBT BRAND NEW MOTOR any ideas

Notices

SEA DOO 951 SBT BRAND NEW MOTOR any ideas

Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil pump and injection is probably fine, I have never seen them go bad in all my day of wrenching on skis. 100 hours on that ski is not a bunch, it should last 400+ with no problems period if its serviced correctly. Are you sure it was ran with no oil??? My bet is on the SBT engine, seen way way way to many let go within the first few hours of riding them. One thing you have an option of doing is a oil block off kit,, premix it and you will never have to worry again, piece of mind.....but remember the kids might have problems adding oil to the gas, good solution to that is 5 gallon containers premixed on the dock for when they need it. Get ready to shell out some serious cash for an oil injection set-up.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercury_Challenger
The best thing to do is to buy a crate 951 from Sea-Doo, cost a bit more than an SBT engine but you will get life out of it, and great service. SBT engines have about a 60% failure rate and are highly known for failure. They are a good alternative source for the do-it-your-selfer, you can get an engine fairly cheap, but don't expect any duration out of it. I have purchased a few in my time from them and they are known to re-use gaskets, gobs of blue glue where gaskets should be and other shotty work that is just not acceptable. You have a few options.....fix it and sell it or buy a sea doo engine, kick SBT to the curb if you plan to keep it. My dealer will not even touch an SBT engine.
Thanks for the input,guess i should have asked questions a lil sooner
Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Registered

Anytime you guys need a hand on skis, holler...........had them for years and have done about everything to them that can possibly be done. SBT has a good sales spill, but if their product was as good as their sales spill they'd be an awesome company.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned

The oil pump and injection is probably fine, I have never seen them go bad in all my day of wrenching on skis. 100 hours on that ski is not a bunch, it should last 400+ with no problems period if its serviced correctly. Are you sure it was ran with no oil??? My bet is on the SBT engine, seen way way way to many let go within the first few hours of riding them. One thing you have an option of doing is a oil block off kit,, premix it and you will never have to worry again, piece of mind.....but remember the kids might have problems adding oil to the gas, good solution to that is 5 gallon containers premixed on the dock for when they need it. Get ready to shell out some serious cash for an oil injection set-up.
MC the original motor they did run the ski out on oil and stopped before she knocked too bad & came apart,the new mechanic im heading to tonite says the same,the pump is fine he has put 2 & 3 motors in skis with 400 hrs and they still have the orig pump in them. the brand new motor had inj oil full and 1 qt in the tank for good measure .premix can be a problem with the kidz as we have burned a few motors on the dirt bikes.thnx for the help
Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

MC the original motor they did run the ski out on oil and stopped before she knocked too bad & came apart,the new mechanic im heading to tonite says the same,the pump is fine he has put 2 & 3 motors in skis with 400 hrs and they still have the orig pump in them. the brand new motor had inj oil full and 1 qt in the tank for good measure .premix can be a problem with the kidz as we have burned a few motors on the dirt bikes.thnx for the help
Old 10-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Anytime....if the new mechanic shoots you a line you are concerned about let me know, I'll do my best to help ya. Its possible you might get away with a top end job on the existing engine in it right now, they can tell when its torn down and inspected.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Banned

Anytime....if the new mechanic shoots you a line you are concerned about let me know, I'll do my best to help ya. Its possible you might get away with a top end job on the existing engine in it right now, they can tell when its torn down and inspected.
SBT has another motor on the way and is paying the shipping,but i eat the labor in & out once again.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING158
SBT has another motor on the way and is paying the shipping,but i eat the labor in & out once again.
You could put it in yourself and that would give you a chance to take it apart and check it for flaws, maybe.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
You could put it in yourself and that would give you a chance to take it apart and check it for flaws, maybe.
BIG BLOCK CHEVY YAH !!!!!! jet ski motor not a clue
Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Registered
VIP Member

If I recall SBT recommends removing the oil injection pump and installing a cross over line and plug that they sell. I would call SBT direct and verify this. If so the shop did not do the job right.

Quick Reply: SEA DOO 951 SBT BRAND NEW MOTOR any ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.