Notices

Steering-Boat Wanders

Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering-Boat Wanders

I was up in Bay City this weekend to see a friend of mines "New to him" boat. He bought a 26' Carver cabin Cruiser. Single engine I/O Volvo Penta. Older boat but clean with about 1100 hours. We took the boat out and while idling out to the bay the boat wants to wander left to right, so your always fighting the wheel. I didn't think it wasright and if it was my boat it would have driven me nuts. What causes this?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,071 Likes on 283 Posts

1100 hours? or 110 hours?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Registered

Talking steering

Duke, A friend of mine had a boat that would constantly do that and it was annoying as hell.I think it was a crownline with a single engine.Other than a bad tiller arm(loose) or a mechanical issue I dont think it can be resolved.Im no expert but I believe it has to do with the overall hull design and the way the nose sits at low speed.Hope it helps.

Brian
Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was out on a cruiser a few weeks ago and I wandered wtf I was doing on a log like that . It's surprising how fast we get spoiled.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

It could be bow steer if the drive is tucked in to far, a worn out steering system, fin on the out drive not adjusted and working against rotation of the drive and engine and possible a slight breeze blowing on the side of the hull. If you speed up does it correct it self ? These are just some basic things that could be the cause.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

That's pretty common on a single engine boat, period.

If he drops the tabs a little, yes it will slow him down; but it should give him a straighter track.

Just for good measure, grab the OD while on the trailer, and try to move it back and forth. If you can move it more than 1/4" or so, something is too loose in the gimble or steering.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Registered

1100 hours. I messed with the trim and the tabs-Didn't seem to make a difference too much, but I did notice a bit of an improvement when it was at the 3 position vs 0 on the gauge.(Trimmed up which would push the bow up) At speeds it was fine. I'll have him check he lower unit for play. They have about a 30 minute trip out to the bay each way. Maybe I'll recommend they move to the marina next to the bay. Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
That's pretty common on a single engine boat, period.

If he drops the tabs a little, yes it will slow him down; but it should give him a straighter track.

Just for good measure, grab the OD while on the trailer, and try to move it back and forth. If you can move it more than 1/4" or so, something is too loose in the gimble or steering.
Very true. Every single I've ever been on does that, even the outboards. Nothing is probably wrong. If he's got tabs, drop them at idle and it should go straight.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Registered

My big CCruiser with twins used to do that...when going very slow, into a stiff current.......you could go nuts trying to compensate, or just keep the wheel straight, and it will not deviate much from course....just a little back and forth, back and forth......at least that's how mine was...
Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

1- single engine boats do this a lot
2- extra play in the outdirve also causes this
3- singles with hydraulic steering (no play does this less)
4- some hull brands do this more than others.

Quick Reply: Steering-Boat Wanders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.