Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why Apache are so expensive? >

Why Apache are so expensive?

Notices

Why Apache are so expensive?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
What I have stated about the build was told to me by Bobby S either in an email or over the phone. Got a few black fibers sticking out here and there in the anchor locker and a few other places that are rather inaccessable. Think Bobby said it was perty much a first using CF. Something about it being very expensive material back then too.
CF was unheard of back then- they hadn't even started using it in aircraft componentry yet. Expensive would be an understatement, not that it's close to cheap today. Virtually everything made with carbon was small parts and autoclave-cured.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Same here, we had to run back to Jersey.

One thing that can be said about us...we actually use our boats while others don't have engines or sit on the side of the house under a tarp!!! See ya out there next year!
Thats really what its all about, using your boat. I think we only put 80 hours on the boat this year. Would have been alot more if I didnt go off to school. That weekend was one of the best weekends of the year. Running down to the run, doing the run, then running back, getting stuck in a rain and thunder lightning storm then running out of gas in one motor at the mouth of the river!! It was a blast!!
Old 10-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
CF was unheard of back then- they hadn't even started using it in aircraft componentry yet. Expensive would be an understatement, not that it's close to cheap today. Virtually everything made with carbon was small parts and autoclave-cured.
Kevlar maybe?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevlar maybe?
Bobby said nothing about Kevlar he stated carbon fiber layed up as thick as fiberglas versions.

Been in and inspected a few kevlar boats and have seen the results of flex of the kevlar on gell coat and paint. No flex in this boat. Its like standing on a rock.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
Bobby said nothing about Kevlar he stated carbon fiber layed up as thick as fiberglas versions.

Been in and inspected a few kevlar boats and have seen the results of flex of the kevlar on gell coat and paint. No flex in this boat. Its like standing on a rock.
Carbon fiber was invented in the early 1960s so anything is possible. bob was always trying new things with his boats!

"Carbon fiber is one of the leading materials used in Formula One car production since the introduction of the fiber into common commercial use in the early 1980s." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber

Last edited by Panther; 10-29-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

Kevlar maybe?
McManus does the carbon reinforcement of kevlar Apaches. Many builders do a carbon reinforcement at highly stressed points. Carbon is ridiculously expensive today and these days it's fairly common place. I couldn't imagine what it would cost to build a whole 33' hull out of the material in 1983.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the wording as its being an experimental use of it was in the conversation too.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbon Fiber is a great product. Awesome for F1 cars, but does not make sense on hi-perf boats because it is so rigid. Best used on high stress points only I am told. Although I still wonder because it will shatter when under too much stress. I am not an expert, just give me a kevlar Apache resin bucket and I will go play in the rough!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:14 PM

They were saying that about Kevlar too- that it might be stronger but didn't yield progtressively. it was said to be either OK or shattered. Alot of that came from raceboat incidents where major failures occurred. Most likely it was excessively light layups that were the culprit.

In theory, carbon fiber is much stronger than any of the other fibers. The trick is the overall process- resins, resin ratios, cures, etc. All the aerospace stuff is cured in autoclaves. The one at Boeing is big enough to cure a carbon fiber apartment building.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Kevlar maybe?
yep....works for me...light and long built real strong.....1986 hull....sat for a few years in govt. warehouse.........running it since 95 no sign of age....and i run it....the proper way...........does not sit......ask anyone who has ridden in the Lucy boat...............m.m...
Attached Thumbnails Why Apache are so expensive?-600_07_freeportrun_241_.jpg   Why Apache are so expensive?-lastsca.jpg   Why Apache are so expensive?-mel67.jpg58.jpg  

Quick Reply: Why Apache are so expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.