Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sport boat. Performance? HP? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/171002-sport-boat-performance-hp.html)

PARADOX 10-12-2007 07:08 PM

Sport boat. Performance? HP?

Where does a sport boat ends and Performance and High Perf starts.?

Speed ? Size ?? Horses? $?

Frequency 10-15-2007 08:12 AM

Easy answer. In a sport boat, you put it in the water, start it up and go. Change the oil at the end of the season.

With a performance boat, you bring spare parts, inquire about the location of good mechanics at your boating destination, and spend more time maintaining it that you do running it.

There, is that about right? :D

Chris Sunkin 10-15-2007 08:29 AM

You nailed it.

PARADOX 10-16-2007 07:18 AM

:ernaehrung004:Makes sence, but in that case I have the slowest but the highest HP boat around. No good mechanics around me, WAAAAAAY to much playing with the boat out of water, tools and parts fills up half the cabin..
My Girl friend said that If I would have spend half the time and effort with her then with the boat, we would be on talk shows as model couples. :D (new thread idea)

BAJA WILL 10-16-2007 07:45 AM

I think their is allot of over lap, for example Fountain considers all their High Performance boats in the "Sport Boat" Category. I may get reemed for this but I would dare say all High Performance boats are "Sport Boats". If the real question is where insurance companies make the cut and it is usually 70mph or 400hp at 27' has been my experience.

WILL:cool-smiley-026:

PARADOX 10-21-2007 08:52 AM

Baja Will.

A 32 Searay 12' wide cabin Cruiser top speed 42 with a 425 HP and bravo 3, is not a performance boat to me. No matter what the insurance co. wants. A 85 MPH a bass boat is not HP.
I Fountain center con. with tuna tower is not HP.

I may be a performance boat is based on USE ???

TexomaPowerboater 10-21-2007 11:05 AM

I think a performance boat has to be primarily designed to go-fast. A bass boat is designed more for fishing, cruisers for lounging. I consider center consoles a performance boat because often the hulls came from or also have a high performance brother hull.

BAJA WILL 10-22-2007 10:02 AM

Paradox

I agree with you, but as I stated their is probably allot of overlap. You make the statement that a bass boat is not a High Performance boat, well I have been on a few bass boats that GPS in the high 90's on stock power(pretty HP when sitting in the passanger seat). Some of them run circles around what many consider "performance boats"

All I am conveying is that their is not a clear line between a Sport boat and a Performance boat. Again I will say all Performance boats by design would have to be a Sport boat. Performance boats are designed for speed, used in boat racing wich is a Sport, thus they are Sport boats.

Please feel free to disagree, just tell me why, hell I may be enlightened by your insight.

WILL:D

PARADOX 10-22-2007 01:05 PM

:ernaehrung004:

Will
I don't disagree. I try to figure it out.
Does speed means HP. Bass boats 90MPH. = HP boat. ?? Mostly they are standard set up, small, fast. I know there is an overlap, that's what I am trying to clear up. So, IE.

I have a 26' Infinity Cuddy. 454 mag. Headers. through hull exh. tabs, silent choise. No bolster seat. 70 MPH. is this an HP ?? My Avanti is 33' 425 HO's 68 MPH (slower then the 26'ter.) is that a HP boat??
thus my thread. so is it speed? style? $? use? make? total Horses?

:violent-smiley-045: