Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   To rebuild or not to rebuild ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/171029-rebuild-not-rebuild.html)

1bagger 10-13-2007 01:37 PM

To rebuild or not to rebuild ?

1 Attachment(s)
I have had my 95 Top Gun for 2 seasons now and enjoyed almost every weekend on it . Other than minor things the boat has been excellent . The 500 HPs with Bravo 1 s have around 450 hours on them . I'm looking at moving to a larger boat with more cabin space for my wife .
So the question is would you rebuild both engines and try and sell the boat with fresh power , look into replacement (take outs from another boat ) or just list it the way it is ?
I'm thinking boats like this don't sell overnight so I will most likely run it some next year anyway . A trade might be an option but no one seems that interested so far .
Paul

Lucky Strike Jr 10-13-2007 02:34 PM

What kind of boat are you looking to get?

open87 10-13-2007 02:53 PM

list the way it is ,, if the boat runs well , why put anymore $$$ in it because you won't get it back. best to ya!

f311fr1 10-13-2007 03:41 PM

Most guys buying a used boat would rather do the rebuild themselves or by a TRUSTED pro. You will not get any where close to to the $ invested in a rebuild versus $ spent.

cuda 10-13-2007 04:15 PM

If it runs good, sell it like it is. First off, you'll never recoup the money for a rebuild, and personally, I'd rather buy one with a few hours on it, than take a chance on having some jack legged mechanic cobble it up.

Playn 10-13-2007 06:15 PM

Sell it like it is if it is running well and there are no issues with it. Put the money into gas for your next boat ;)

DMOORE 10-13-2007 06:23 PM

+7 . Sell it the way it sits.

Darrell.

ReggieRaft 10-13-2007 06:28 PM

All good advice. As IS.

1bagger 10-13-2007 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr (Post 2304782)
What kind of boat are you looking to get?

I'm looking at a Formula 400ss with Diesels . Took my wife to sea trial last weekend and we both like it . The weekend before we tried a 40' cruiser that cruised at 22 knots .
Pulled out of the harbour got on plane . We looked at each other and with out saying anything knew we are not ready to go that slow . The Formula seems like a nice compromise .
Too bad the other manufactures didn't make something like the Formula or Donzi . Looked very quickly at a Fountain but was very disappointed in the quality of the boat .

Thanks for the unanimous advise on the rebuild question .
My thinking was the Performance Boat world is very small and sure as chit something bad would happen when the new owner takes the boat and I end being the crook that sold him the boat .