Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Future Milestones and Legends >

Future Milestones and Legends

Notices

Future Milestones and Legends

Old 10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think event organizers and communication over the net have brought people together that may have never been put together other wise, has made a community for all of us to enjoy and share from. ie... OSO...poker rus....boat clubs
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Milestones

the "recreational" cat.

factory warrantied big HP motors

OSO

Future Legends

Peter Hledin

Bob Leach
Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was waiting for someone to mention OSO. No brown nosing but OSO has to have been a big boon to the performance boating industry.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

the #6 drive
the Formula 400SS
Outerlimits construction fit and finish
Nor-Tec construction fit and finish
Cigarette Bullet, Revolution 188 (you never saw anything like them before they were introduced)
Fountains Race Boats (no one can deny their race boats are some pretty serious hot rods)
Pantera's longevity with only two models (until the 36)
Imco
Konrad
The Bravo Shop
The Sea Ray Pachanga (just kidding)
The paint and gel coat work
Offshore bowriders (I don't like it but it's true)
Old 10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
I was waiting for someone to mention OSO. No brown nosing but OSO has to have been a big boon to the performance boating industry.
Have to agree on that one.
I've been introduced to different brands and models of boats that I would have never known existed.
And the history of some of the hulls out there.
I have to admit, I wouldn't have been searching for an old-school Pantera if it hadn't been from everything I've read and researched.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the late 80's the evolution of the Mirage propeller pretty much made the cleaver obsolete in most pleasure applications.

In 1987 Cigarette came out with the 38' Top Gun replacing the 38' flat deck. Still one of the hottest selling boats today.

In 1988 MerCruiser releases the Bravo 1 outdrive replacing the TRS, eliminating the need for a hydraulic transmission.

Reggie Fountain and Ralph Martin do a handshake deal to make Everglades Marina in Ft. Lauderdale, FL the only Fountain dealer in the state. Deal stood until Fountain went public and at the time Everglades was accounting for 35% of Fountain total sales.

Mark McManus and Ralph Martin, on another handshake deal, made Everglades the sole Apache dealer. Deal was to stand for many years and was very successful for both companies.

Paul Fiore, then with Hustler, perfects the stepped bottom in the 32' with Arneson drives and makes 100 MPH+ in a pleasure boat a safe reality.

Craig Barrie with Cigarette designs the non-symmetrical deck on the 31' Bullet and it becomes an instant hit. He also was instumental in the 42' Revolution 188 deck with the "humps".

Scott Smith, head of Cigarette warranty dept., takes the time to educate salesmen about the Cigarette product. He is a genuinely great guy DESPITE being from Cleveland! (Go Tribe!).
Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In 1986 Cigarette designs the 35' Cafe Racer deck for the Mistress hull. Still one of the most popular used Cigarettes around.

In 1987 Evinrude/Johnson came out with the 300HP V-8 outboard. We tried them on the 33' Fountains, (10 meter), but had limited luck with the counter-rotating engine. OMC stood behind all the warranties, much to their credit.

In 1988 I briefly left Everglades to work for Richie Powers and Jeff Sofer at the now defunct Champion Marine as the sales manager. I hire a brash, young, eager to learn kid from Canada named Randy Sweers to sell boats. Anybody ever heard of "Fastboats.com"?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Factory class racing brought spec boat racing and the idea of racing to many average boaters. Mercury benefitted from Factory Class racing as the HP500 went into a majority of go-fast pleasure boats.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

The evolution of stepped and multi-stepped hulls.

The materials used in boat construction are stronger and lighter.

#1 milestone................OSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ar ty-smiley-020:
The ability to bring all of us performance boaters together.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The Pop up Cleat....... It has saved countless drunken souls from injury as they slid off their damp, slick as ice decks.

Quick Reply: Future Milestones and Legends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.