Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need help with my 92 Regal,  no start, no power, no headlights, possible bad ECM? >

Need help with my 92 Regal, no start, no power, no headlights, possible bad ECM?

Notices

Need help with my 92 Regal, no start, no power, no headlights, possible bad ECM?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Need help with my 92 Regal, no start, no power, no headlights, possible bad ECM?

I have a 92 Regal. Yesterday it would not start at all. I turned the key to run and there was no radio, no clock, no gauges. The headlights didn't even have power. I jumped it off another car for 2 minutes and it started right up like there was no problem. The charging system is working just fine and I did not leave any interior lights on, nor was the glovebox light on. This was my moms car prior to me and a Buick Dealership replaced the ECM saying this was the culprit. My aunt has the same car and she had the same problems and a dealership preformed the same fix. What I dont understand is how the car was completely dead, even the headlights, yet it took only 2 minutes for the battery to be charged to crank it over. The car cranked over with no problem, and this was after removing the jumper cables. Anybody have this same problem and what was the fix?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a couple of batteries that the cells just died during lunch, started with jumpers just fine.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It happened about 4 months ago, and then just yesterday.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those lousy side-terminal batteries have such small contact area that when a little part gets some corrosion, not enough current is available to energize the car. Take your battery cables apart and clean them with the proper wire brush terminal cleaner. If the bolt has excessive corrosion on the threads see if the battery is leaking acid onto the threads.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Those lousy side-terminal batteries have such small contact area that when a little part gets some corrosion, not enough current is available to energize the car. Take your battery cables apart and clean them with the proper wire brush terminal cleaner. If the bolt has excessive corrosion on the threads see if the battery is leaking acid onto the threads.
Exactly what it sounds like to me.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe ,, just maybe ,, its the body control harness ,, goes thru the firewall , close to the steering rod,,, it is the main umbilcal cord to dash ,, unplug it and clean it !!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Switch the battery first.

The dealerships love to tell you it'ds the ECM charge you $ 350 and really it's the battery, cable or corrosion.

The ECM has NOTHING TO DO WITH headlights, radio.

The condition you are describing is a no volts condition. Please check the ground cable connection to the chassis also.

Wannabe
Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Agreed, bad battery or bad connection at the battery or the starter.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure this car is fixed by now. HOW ABOUT A REPORT!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I checked the battery and terminals for corrosion over the weekend. I could not find any. All the battery terminals were tight and corrosion free. The tops and side of the battery were clean. The battery was purchased in May of 2005. I check all the relays and connections on ther underhood relay center and they are all in good shape. The car has not died or acted up since then. The only thing left for me to do is perform a lad test on the battery. I am still in the dark as to why it acted up. We have had some pretty cold mornings up here and the car has been starting normally.

Quick Reply: Need help with my 92 Regal, no start, no power, no headlights, possible bad ECM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.