Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What Do People Think About a "Budget/DIY" Forum? >

What Do People Think About a "Budget/DIY" Forum?

Notices

What Do People Think About a "Budget/DIY" Forum?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OSO
that does not make sense can you email us more specifically what happened, did you get an error message?
When you click "manage attachments", it only gives you three upload slots per thread.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Isn't it three upload slots per thread reply? Meaning that I can start a new thread that contains three pictures. Then reply to my own thread and post three more pics. Do it again and again, etc.

I agree with Chris in that the search function should be improved.

Ciao,
Dan
Old 10-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OSO
that does not make sense can you email us more specifically what happened, did you get an error message?
There was a topic (I forget which one) that I had previously posted 3 pics in it in one of my replies. I then went to reply again a day or so later and post 3 more photos in the same topic and a message popped up saying something along the lines of a limit of 3 pics allowed in a single topic by any 1 member. I don't recall the exact wording, but that was the jest.
No, this is not the 3 picture per post condition.

Anyhows, I just tried a test topic and was able to post 6 pics in 2 separate replies within my test topic. I guess now it was a fluke when the board changes where being implemented last week as that was about the time frame.
All appears fine now.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Tech questions are tech questions and something can be learned from reading them- whether they're about a $5,000 motor or a $50,000 motor. We're already breaking the board up into too many forums. One more just makes it harder to see.

I disagree, check out the link below and once into the forums click on the "liberry" link in the menu bar. It's a link to a reference area that is smartly set up and easy to find the subject you're looking for. This is a tile forum, but the idea is the same, I can't see how a feature like this would be a bad thing for the forum. I changed bearings and breaks on my trailer last year, a how-to with a pictorial would have been helpful for me since it was my first time. One of the Corvette forums has this feature also and it was great.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I disagree, check out the link below and once into the forums click on the "liberry" link in the menu bar. It's a link to a reference area that is smartly set up and easy to find the subject you're looking for. This is a tile forum, but the idea is the same, I can't see how a feature like this would be a bad thing for the forum. I changed bearings and breaks on my trailer last year, a how-to with a pictorial would have been helpful for me since it was my first time. One of the Corvette forums has this feature also and it was great.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php?
I'm not suggesting that a library of common technical issues would be a bad thing. I'm suggesting that taking existing forums and dissecting them into more and more sub-forums would be detrimental.

Having the tech forums subdivided into Engine/Drive tech and Fiberglass/Paint tech makes sense. Having those sub-divided into Budget Paint and Engine Tech For Boats Under $25,000 doesn't make sense to me. If I have rod knock, does it matter how much my boat's worth, it's usually the same problem.

In the end, most people lack the time and interest to hit every forum every day. I've accidently wandered into some great discussions in the Cig and Skater forums but rarely go there. Subdividing forums only limits how many people view the poster's question and will likely inhibit them getting the answer they need. As far as the specific forum in question, I doubt I'd hit it much. I've learned from experience there's rarely a cheap and easy way out of anything to do with a boat
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timewarp
I thought that's what the technical forums were for???

Caleb

Ditto... Shouldnt matter how much a boat does or doesnt cost. The existing tech forums are for technical talk of all sorts.. Jamie
Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Tech questions are tech questions and something can be learned from reading them- whether they're about a $5,000 motor or a $50,000 motor. We're already breaking the board up into too many forums. One more just makes it harder to see. Plus, how many guys with the right answers may not stop in and look at the posts?

I see plenty of beer-budget-type discussions in the existing tech forums now.

Just my opinion.

P.S. You want to improve the site? Come up with a better search function. Something with some advanced functionality and the ability to find a specific post, not just showing how many threads have one particular word buried- sometimes in 30 or 40 pages of posts.
Agreed ...

I do understand people wanting to save some money where it makes sense, & I understand that some people get a sense of satisfaction doing thier own work that is within their level of expertise.

However we all also really know & need to remember that boating in genral is not always an inexpensive sport/hobby.. It does at times require some $$ to do properly at times, regardless of doing it professionally or doing it yourself.. Some of justs costs money no matter who you are or what you do..

Jamie / Lakeside

Old 10-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the idea of a 'how to' section. Maybe any great posts - eg. the transom rebuild post, can be edited and placed in this how to section. Saw something similar in an old Chevy truck site and it was really useful not having to ask the same questions over and over.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by OSO
Please tell me what you think this section should be called and what exaclty is the description to see where we might place it.

I am still surprised that people feel they can not post because their boat is not expensive enough. I have never seen a reason why anyone should feel this way based on the way others treat them. Am I missing something?
I've never had a problem feeling I cannot post due to not owning an expensive of enough boat.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An FAQ is really what's needed. In the fall, it's winterizing questions. In the spring, it's overheating and water pump/impeller changes. Every couple of weeks it's "which cam?" or "cam specs for ..."

These are the kinds of things that could be lumped into an FAQ area, and a lot of time they fall under DIY also.

Quick Reply: What Do People Think About a "Budget/DIY" Forum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.