Notices

Who owns the photos?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Who owns the photos?

I noticed that Sharkey has added a disclaimer to some race pictures he posted over in the photos section.

I have been under the assumption he is a freelancer, so I'm wondering how SBI has a say on what he does with his images if he is not under contract with them. Isn't a race like any other sporting event, and in the public domain?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. With the exception of reasonable intrusion of privacy, as a photographer, I've always operated under the rule: "If you can see it, you can shoot it."

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Explain to me how this is legal...

Here is what Sharkey sent me:

Yes, I am freelance, but the AMF/Miss Geico Team had asked me to come shoot for them.

Knowing how SBI can be, I decided to ask what I needed to do to be legal to shoot the event. I was told it would cost me $1,000 paid to SBI and that I would have to give SBI a copy of everything I shot as well as sign their contract in which gives them copyrights to the images. Unfortunately they didn't have their contracts on hand, so they have to get one out to me.
I don't see giving up my ownership of my work, so I need to see exactly what their contract states. Also, there is no way in hell I can make up that $1,000 when I may have only shot 8 or 10 boats. I suggested that if they were to get copies of the images, then I felt it was only fair they waive the fee. They said no. I got a verbal ok to put them on the net so as long as I wasn't selling them. And you wonder why I was the only photographer there in a chopper shooting their event.... ?
I seriously don't understand why they chase everyone away...
If some how they end up waiving the fee or someone else picks up the tab, then the pics may be made available.
For now, they will have to stay with my copyright watermark on them as I look into what legal rights a promotor has to an event held out in the open waters...
If you head to Key West, just be aware they are looking for photographers selling the images so that they can claim a lawsuit against them. That is what the $1000 goes towards, so I was told by *.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They say thats just the way Carbonell is, all about the money and not the racing.

Thats why a lot of the OPA guys didnt want to go to KW

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a POS. How in the hell does he have two good knees still? scumbag

wonder how much a few pics of him getting his teeth knock out would be worth?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44
what a POS. How in the hell does he have two good knees still? scumbag

wonder how much a few pics of him getting his teeth knock out would be worth?
PRICELESS !!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
They say thats just the way Carbonell is, all about the money and not the racing.

Thats why a lot of the OPA guys didnt want to go to KW
Ya got that right - its MONEY MONEY MONEY - I won in court with APBA - the judge said - "you mean to say - I cant take a photo of my friends boat in the public domain, and sell it to him ? or take a photo of anyone or anything in the public domain ?

What they dont get - is they are in the Public domain - not in an enclosed stadium -

File Suit against them for restraint of trade - They dont own the air space either - and they cant close it - or restrict it - just to their wants and desires - This is still a FREE country -

They might own the rights to their NAME - but they dont own the seas or air space -

They will sue you - so dont wait - sue them first - they back down quickly when presented with the truth -
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for posting that, Phil.

Of course they back down because they know they are full of it and don't have a leg to stand on. Photographers' rights is a subject near and dear to my heart and there is PLENTY of legal precendent to support it. Although my initial reaction was similar to Masher's, my true feeling here is one of astonishment. A low-level security guard telling you that you can't take pictures of a building (you can) is one thing, but to hear this absurd horsehockey really set me off. It's no wonder that the sport has stagnated with this type of draconian thinking coming from the mountaintop. It makes absolutely no sense to me why you would antagonize the very people who could most help publicize your organization...

What a freakin world we live in.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

So let me get this right. He can pay a grand and provide free advertising for Carbonell's industry. Sounds like a bargain. Sharkey should tell them thanks, but I'll take pics of the more willing associations and just boycott them.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Registered

Ypu can't take pics of government buildings especially military installations.

Quick Reply: Who owns the photos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.