Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Needed data from manufacture, specs etc. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/171795-needed-data-manufacture-specs-etc.html)

BadDog 10-24-2007 11:30 AM

Needed data from manufacture, specs etc.

I called the Formula dealer. I wanted to know how tall each of several models sat on the trailer. Asked for speeds and fuel flow data on offered power packages.

Seems reasonable? In the long run you would want to know;
1. Will it fit in the garage.
2. Is the cruise speed sufficient
3. Top end enough to get back in a hurry
4. How much will it cost to operate.

Point 4 will always draw some discussion. If the fuel flow is greatly different from one model that suits my needs to another model that I would be just as happy with I would choose the one I can run more.

I have not heard back from then other then we are checking on it. Certainly the manufacture would know these things. I suppose they don’t want to sell a boat since the economy is doing so well and they are selling more than they can build. LOL
Models in question
Formula 280 SS
Formula 28 PC

Sydwayz 10-24-2007 11:38 AM

If you have any kind of go-fast thoughts/desires, the SS is what you want, not the PC. The PC is a cruiser, through and through.

The "how tall on a trailer" question is very sketchy to answer. ALL trailers are different, as this could be skewed by as many as 6-8 inches or more depending on setup. Also, you need to specify arch, bimini, and/or just windshield height.

t500hps 10-24-2007 12:01 PM

Fuel burn can be fairly easily determined but trailer height is a guess at best. I bought a new trailer for my 382....boat sat an inch or 2 lower than on the original trailer...in order to set it up exactly the way I wanted I made a few adjustments and dropped the boat another 2.5 inches in the back and 4.5 inches in the front. Trailer height will vary from one boat/trailer to another with the exact same model.

Fuel....my best educated guess. Twin 350's in both boats. 8-9 gal/hr/motor at cruise speed. 30mph in the 27 PC, 35 in the 280SS. (real world, not best case speeds). The PC will hit upper 40's or maybe 50 WOT, the 280 will be 55 to 57 WOT. of course fuel burn will be significantly more at WOT.

Start this same thread on Speedwake addressed to Magicfloat. He is a Formula dealer and an excellent source of information. Unfortuantely he cannot answer us here any longer.

BadDog 10-24-2007 02:26 PM

Sydwayz,
T500,
Thanks for the info, I was specific with the dealer on the windshield, arch thing. Might better also ask about height of boat from lowest point of flat runnig surface to top of boat on parallel lines. This would allow you to factor in trailer and garage height. In the case of a 6 or 8 inch ramp up into the garage where the head room is lower at the entrance (above door or header board) than inside garage a total clearance just shy of total boat height may fit depending upon how tongue dips as the trailer is backed in

t500hps 10-24-2007 05:43 PM

More thoughts........A 280 w/o the arch will need at least an 8 ft door, probably a 10. The 27PC with an arch may fit under a 12 but that would be minimum.

BadDog 10-24-2007 06:17 PM

I think I am at 11 8 with the header board. Found one test that claims the 27 PC would run 44 Radar with twin V-6 EFI. Seems hard to believe. Wanting to know what it would run with twin 5.7 Mag's. I am guessing close to 51. Fuel flow at 30 and 35 is what I would look at.

The 280 SS was only offered with twin V-8 from the standard 350 to 377's at 320 HP. I bet it would be close to 57 or so with the Scorpions.

t500hps 10-24-2007 08:33 PM

A local guy had a 280 (1999ish with twin V-6's...don't know what speed it ran though. Go to Formulaboatsforum.com.....there is a guy there that bought a 27PC this spring, tows it, had to raise the roof of his garage, and brags about it's performance. He can probably tell you everything you want to know. (screen name is CADS or something like that)