Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's???? >

What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Notices

What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Old 10-25-2007, 07:29 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boy, this topic could get me in trouble...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 PM

Default apache

apache
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 320es
Zudnic, you sound like a guy with experience.
A friend of a friend eventually got caught going that route. They where kind of smart about it. Problem with that business is you have to involve other people. Those people often are not as smart!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered

Bayliner.........float under the radar.........
Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My Apache does have a lot of storage compartments. To bad Ben Kramer can't chime in.

I agree with the larger sportfish boats. I have spent some time in the out islands of the Bahamas and when you see a 70' viking with black tinted glass you think to yourself how easy would be to smuggle people or dope in that thing. These days there are DEA Bases all over the place in the islands and they are running all over in choppers all of the time.

I spoke with the owner of the 70' viking I was talking about and he said the DEA had been following him for a couple days taking pics and flying low. I spoke with him in Georgetown Exuma, but he said they had followed him down from Naseau and then down from Staniel key. He was heading for San Salvador the next day and he figured they would watch him then as well.

I think in most instances there is usually someone watching these days. However, Poker runs could be an option because you have lots of boats and you would blend in.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

PanteraFreak is restoring a 81 28 pantera drug runner that he bought off a government auction. I think he's almost done.

If I was running drugs with a boat.............I'd do it with a big 80ft magnum, when I get stopped I would work something into the hull and drop the drugs in the water, then have a built in inflation system for the package to float back to surface
Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

The Mistress only had an 8 foot beam.

The 36 flat deck, with a 10 foot beam, with big hatches and big tanks and Merc 370 or 400 TRS's often did the job, or so I'm told.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

A friend of mine knew some people who knew some people and they recruited him and his 28 Scarab (I think, may have been 26?) to bring some product in from the mother ship back in late 70's when he was living in West Palm. They lash his immaculate boat to the side of a rusty freighter and it's draggin up and down the side as the Columbians are tossing bales onto his deck from 30 feet above him-- wham! wham! wham! (he didn't care too much for that part)

Told me they would run 50 or 60, sometimes with no lights to private residence to offload. Said it was the biggest rush he ever had. Never got paid in cash- 10% of what you carried was yours to keep.

It was probly different back then.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Waaaaay, back in the late 1980s......Had to laugh when I saw a 150 ft super yacht in the D.T.s with four commercial shrimp boats tied up to it. I kinda doubt they were having a raft up party and BBQ.

My grandpaps was a rumrunner in the 1920s. Brought kegs of rum lashed to the fish boat decks, easy to dump over board with salt ballast. No rum on this boat, sir! Salt soon melted, and up they popped.

He used to get chased by 4 stacker destroyers up and down the east coast. Never got caught, not even my mom knew what her dad REALLY did for a living until 60 years later, when grandmom was ailing and it slipped out. Then I saw the secret photo albums that had been hidden for over 60 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by CBR; 10-25-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
PanteraFreak is restoring a 81 28 pantera drug runner that he bought off a government auction. I think he's almost done.

If I was running drugs with a boat.............I'd do it with a big 80ft magnum, when I get stopped I would work something into the hull and drop the drugs in the water, then have a built in inflation system for the package to float back to surface
put some thought into this uh

Quick Reply: What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.