Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's???? >

What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Notices

What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Old 10-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't need pictures, I went to high school in miami in the mid 70's and saw my fair share of work boats. Too many different types to remember them all. my favorite is a 40 center console with 4 2.4 mercs on the back.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

back then you went and traveled all over the bahama's wtih only a compass, in todays world most of the people on this site will not leave the dock unless the chartplotter is up and running
Old 10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

does anybody have pictures of any of these boats?????
Old 10-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
My Apache does have a lot of storage compartments. To bad Ben Kramer can't chime in.
lol!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Most of those sterndrive boats had #3's. Remember, money was no object and reliability was a priority.

Yep... that actually hit to my mind when I hit the enter button...
Now in the 70īs they prolly used SSM2īs which are a direct bolt on to TRS shield?

Yes the same happened in the Med too.
People brought contraband from North Africa in the Med to the gold coast of Spain or other places like Gibraltar. Ibiza was the European equivalent to Miami actually. Remember looking at many powerboats there and usually they had SSM3īs.
But as told here most of the stuff came over in yachts and sailboats like prolly also over there.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
PanteraFreak is restoring a 81 28 pantera drug runner that he bought off a government auction. I think he's almost done.

If I was running drugs with a boat.............I'd do it with a big 80ft magnum, when I get stopped I would work something into the hull and drop the drugs in the water, then have a built in inflation system for the package to float back to surface
I was thinking the same think with a trap door but in a 38 tg, the mag is a great idea and to refloat
Old 10-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

trap doors are for tv and movies
Old 10-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Registered

popes too. we worked on one with the FBI when the Pope came to boston long time ago. I had a friends friend who had 3 blow boats and would ship up from st thomas with weed and coke, he got caught at one point lost the 3 boats. another F, F used sail boats to unload from the mothership off o f$%$$#& and then use campers to move it across the country they made a lot of cash. in the 80s one brother was killed in fl when a big coke deal went bad. then someother partner got caught with unpaid taxes and the feds used him to turn in the brothers and mules. no did more than 5yrs they were lucky they even sponsored a apba race boat in the 80s and 90s
Old 10-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
in the 80s one brother was killed in fl when a big coke deal went bad. then someother partner got caught with unpaid taxes and the feds used him to turn in the brothers and mules. no did more than 5yrs they were lucky they even sponsored a apba race boat in the 80s and 90s
That's the problem with that type of business. Your either gonna get killed or ratted out. The risk vs reward is just not worth it. Sad thing is a lot of these guy's are smart and could have been successful in legit business.

Even if you are low key and look legit. Your going to have to deal with criminals who may not be as low key. If they pick up Police attention. All that needs to happen is be seen or worse photographed by a Cop's with those people. They ask who is this guy with such and such. Eventually the pieces in the puzzle will fall in place. Most time's it will be the guy on the radar gets busted. The Cops are suspicious of low key guy who has a good life, but how does that person have a good life and keeps getting spotted with low life's. Cops will question criminal and go we know about such and such. Boom low life criminal has an out. You!!!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Registered

the big guys paid some cash did some time the most was 5yrs so it wasn't to bad for them and some lost there wifes, but others are doing fine, they all own real co's now and are doing good except for the loss of one of the brothers. you got to be smart, big balls to do that back then. I think thats why they are where they are today, honest businessmen. they paid for there mistakes.

Quick Reply: What used to be boat of choice for smugglers in the 70's/80's????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.