Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shooters Shootout Cancelled for 2008 at LOTO (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172276-shooters-shootout-cancelled-2008-loto.html)

AIR TIME 11-02-2007 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Outlawcowgirl (Post 2325545)
I got a line on one already!:D

cool:DI just got a new one to replace the stolen one so I went polished this time to make me feel better:ernaehrung004: but I heard the non polished was faster. I am think about a ex box with the 3'' height built in:cool: that would but the drive 2'' under the keel and 12'' back otherwise with a standard unit it will be 12'' back and 5'' under the keel which I think would be to deep. with a 26b1 I was at 6000rpm at 83.2 gps so need a lab 30 to stay at 5400 to 5600. which should put me at 85 to 87. art

Raylar 11-02-2007 08:21 PM

We attended The Lake Rescue Shootout this year for the first time with our raceboat and had a wondeful time and looked forward to 2008! sorry, to hear about this problem!
I suspect after our tours of the lake and looks at all the great new homes and condo's that the fees from taxes are making the local fire and rescue so fat they don't need the Shootout anymore.
In any event, like I told some of my West Coat buddies, if we had a lake like this in California, nobody would ever go to work!!
Someone needs to put this event back together with a sponsor and some event income and this event will continue to grow! Might even want to consider top speed prize monies in each class for Shootout participants. that would insure a lot more participants and spectators!
the performance boat community does not need to lose a great venue like this!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Mentalpause 11-02-2007 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Von Bongo (Post 2325050)
I think he may actually be referring to the old Walmart, where Hardy's is on 54 which is in fact vacant most of the time.

That one is always vacant. I was thinking of the outlet mall obviously. Good idea, that mall would hold tons of parking.

Mentalpause 11-02-2007 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by chevyzq8 (Post 2325265)
Griff, I completely agree with you. I know for myself and many others I know, going out at night is great, but I find hanging around the condo/docks at night is way more relaxing. Most of the establishments at the lake I visit are during the day for lunch, or to get off the water for a few hours, etc. Lets face it there's much better places to go eat on the lake than Shooter's.

6-7 years ago Shooter's was by far the biggest hot spot on the lake, but things are changing in the market and fast. Even Nico in Omaha isn't as busy as it once was.

And then there is the part about boating and intoxication - folks are just more conservative than they were years ago. They are heading back to their condos or houses and playing it a little more safe. All in all, that is a good thing.

Interestingly enough, the chains are making a mark at the lake now. You never used to see them. Places like Chilis, Steak and Shake. But they are up on the road as the economy there is turning into a 12 month economy.

chappy 11-10-2007 11:52 PM

My understanding is that the M.W.P. is stating that the
shootout needs to stay between the 19 and 22 mile
marker do to logistic reasons and safety reasons. The
request for regatta permits have been denied by M.W.P.
due to the above. You can go to Missouri State Water
Patrol home page and click on "news releases" and
read about the shootout.

What a sad thing for LOTO and all the people who have
put so much time and effort into this event to make it
what it is for this to happen. David Scott and Budweiser
need to step up to the plate!

Buddy OO 11-11-2007 01:03 AM

It has nothing to do with anyone stepping up to the plate, Dog Days has already resubmitted the course at the 20-22mm per our map on this thread, only made it better by running it away from spectator traffic to eliminate the waves towards the end of the run as everyone has always talked and had concern about. water patrol cares about 1 thing only safety.

chevyzq8 11-11-2007 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Buddy OO (Post 2332343)
It has nothing to do with anyone stepping up to the plate, Dog Days has already resubmitted the course at the 20-22mm per our map on this thread, only made it better by running it away from spectator traffic to eliminate the waves towards the end of the run as everyone has always talked and had concern about. water patrol cares about 1 thing only safety.

I would think this submittal will get approved. If you read the press release, the MWP seems to be a big supporter of the event and it sounds like they want to see it continue.

mpally 11-11-2007 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buddy OO (Post 2332343)

How are people without boats going to be able to veiw with that setup? Will there be public viewing somewhere. I think that will really cut into the turnout if you can't watch the boats running from shore.

fountain4play 11-11-2007 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mpally (Post 2332503)
How are people without boats going to be able to veiw with that setup? Will there be public viewing somewhere. I think that will really cut into the turnout if you can't watch the boats running from shore.

Not sure it would really make that much of a difference in the crowds, people will be where the big gun boats are.

But then again I've never watched the races from the shore and a big screen could be set-up to view the races...

people for the most part on the shore are there for the fun and the event and I'm not sure how well you can view them anyway...:ernaehrung004:

just me $.02...

tlark 11-11-2007 03:31 PM

NEWS RELEASE

PUBLIC INFORMATION SECTION, P.O. Box 1368, Jefferson City, MO 65102

For further information contact: Lieutenant Nick R. Humphrey
Public Information Director
Phone: (573) 751-3333
E-mail: [email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Jefferson City, Missouri

Lake Boat Race Sponsorship Will Change Hands In 2008

The Lake Rescue Shootout, formerly known as the Shooter's Shootout, is a tradition at the Lake of the Ozarks. The event is used to raise money to benefit lake area fire departments. The local fire departments have announced they will not apply for a regatta permit from the Water Patrol to host the event next year. The Missouri State Water Patrol has received several initial applications from lake businesses to host the event in 2008. The applications vary in location from the 7 mile mark to the 34 mile mark.

In the best interest of public safety, the Missouri State Water Patrol believes the race should remain in its traditional location between the 20 and 22 mile mark of Lake of the Ozarks, which was not requested in any of the initial applications. Continuing to hold the race in the traditional location provides the best access to emergency medical services as well as the safest overall environment for the event.

"Many factors have to be considered when evaluating a regatta permit: access to emergency services, distances from docks, homes, shoreline and bridges, and the number of officers it will take to provide a safe environment in any particular area. We also have to evaluate the boat traffic patterns, congestion, and access to coves and property as we work through the application process" said Colonel Rad Talburt.

During the history of the Shootout, the Missouri State Water Patrol has provided numerous officers contributing well over 100 man hours to the event each year to ensure the safety of the participants and observers. The Water Patrol recognizes the importance of this event to the Lake of the Ozarks community and will continue to consider applications with an acceptable course layout and location.

The Water Patrol has set a December 15th deadline for regatta applications for the event formerly known as the Lake Rescue Shootout. The deadline is due to the complexity of scheduling an event as expansive as the Shootout boat races. The Water Patrol will insure that the regatta permit recipient has adequate time for planning and scheduling in order to provide the safest environment for the event.

News Release ID: N07070221
Release Date: 20071109

As I read this, it appears to be a done deal with the proper paper work to be submitted.