Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do all boats have titles? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172350-do-all-boats-have-titles.html)

LubeJobs42 10-31-2007 10:06 PM

Do all boats have titles?

I am buying a 16 Donzi from a guy in Alabama. He said they don't have titles there only registrations. Is this the case? will I be able to register and get a title?

jeff32 10-31-2007 10:14 PM

I remember in some states they don't have titles, but can't remember wich ones... in canada, no title for nothing: cars, trucks, boats, motorcycle, whatever... just registrations...

awesomecat26 10-31-2007 10:30 PM

I Know Georgia Is Like That Also ,but You Need To Ask What Are The Requirements For Your State You Want To Register It In. That Will Be What Matters.

jafo 10-31-2007 10:56 PM

Some states don't require titles for boats, or boats at or under 16' in length. If your are buying from such a state, make sure you have a complete and descriptive bill of sale as well as the current (or most current) registration. Here in Illinois, if you have the bill of sale along with the registration, the title process is pretty standard both in paper work and cost.

Griff 10-31-2007 11:18 PM

Send a PM to Magicfloat aka Robert Nelems. I'm sure he could tell you exactly what the Alabama laws are with Titles. I know when I bought my first boat, it had never been titled. Nebraska had just started issuing tiltles for boats and before the guy sold it to me, he had to get it titled.

Jigsaw89 11-01-2007 12:50 AM

I purchased my last boat & trailer from a private seller in Maine... a no title state with registration only.

I went to my local DMV with the registrations and bills of sale and left with fresh NJ titles.

Zudnic 11-01-2007 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 2323921)
I remember in some states they don't have titles, but can't remember wich ones... in canada, no title for nothing: cars, trucks, boats, motorcycle, whatever... just registrations...

When I first moved to Ontario had British Columbia insurance and registration. Cop gives me a ticket for no proof of insurance. Argued and he said: no you gave me ownership proof, need your insurance card. Stopped arguing and fought in court. The Cop was a 20 year veteran and was not aware BC issue's insurance and registration (title) on the same form.

Point. Check with whomever you are going to take registration, title, or whatever proof of new ownership first! Washington State and Arizona have no problem with BC registrations as proof of ownership. WA will transfer ownership with a bill of sale, as well.

boatme 11-01-2007 05:49 AM

I dont believe they require titles in Tennesee either

Audiofn 11-01-2007 05:52 AM

No titles in Maine

Chris Sunkin 11-01-2007 05:58 AM

I'd definitely recommend a notarized bill-of-sale that includes the HIN.