Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TOHATSU!

Just kidding.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that your dash in the Avatar? That is one nice place for the compass, I am not being sarcastic, mine was over on the pass side and I could not even read it. It may not be used a ton unless you race but when you do it is right there. I grew up sailing and the compass was always right in your line of sight by just glancing down. Mine was so useless I never used it, I used the GPS... Look at the pic....
Attached Thumbnails Who Makes The Most Reliable Outboards-topveiw2oso.jpg  
Old 11-03-2007, 07:27 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

I gotta tell ya's...

if you had walked in every engine sellers booth's at the Laud show like I did, asked questions, and saw their video's and listened to their sales people, every engine out there is a POS.

I came out of there more confused than going in...

also gotta say the video in the Etech booth of the pulloff between the Yammi and the Etech was downright funny...

the ONLY downside I have heard of the Zuki's is the resale and parts availablity, other than that people kill for them... one seller told me ya don't need to stock parts if they don't break...
Old 11-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Jass, I would stick with Merc or Yamaha for the power range you are looking at. Getting any kind of service on Merc or Yamaha will be super easy. Go check out the fishing boat forums and you will get a good idea of what brands and models to look at then go ask around at different independant marine service center that work equally on Merc or Yamaha.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

I have owned or worked on almost every outboard motor for about thirty years. Based on my experience, I would recommend mercury 2 cycle salt water series. Many of the internal components that tend to corrode over time even in fresh water are stainless.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Im NOW looking at the Merc's...What's the diff between Verado, which I believe is supercharged, OptiMax and their Four stroke model. This is not a perf CC, so all around fuel economy and pull for tubing or skiing is preferred. Reliability is still the main focus. Im now looking to a single vs twin, 225-300hp. Thanks Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
RHC
Registered

Well Jass,, now that you have picked the best engine builder ,,

I have the 300V,,,, the new bottem end oiling system seems to work very well,, I get better fuel effi than I did with the 275V that I first had,,,, I can not speak for the 150's but they should follow the same path,,, I choose the 4 stroke beause I did not want to buy the 2 cycle oil and also I wanted to burn any gas (octane) that I could find ... So far, its all good !! Those were my reason's ,, thats all ,, just choices !!!

Good luck!!

RHC
Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Jassman, since I left the south florida market 4 years ago I have been serviving by servicing all makes and models with 4 trucks on the road full time. The least amount of repairs we have seen come from Honda!!
No other brand comes close...The merc's and Yamahas are virtually the same motors with the same reaccuring problems. I suggest 4 stroke, fuel injection and you will be a happy camper. Good luck on your purchase
P.S. I do miss all you guy's
Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosco
Jassman, since I left the south florida market 4 years ago I have been serviving by servicing all makes and models with 4 trucks on the road full time. The least amount of repairs we have seen come from Honda!!
No other brand comes close...The merc's and Yamahas are virtually the same motors with the same reaccuring problems. I suggest 4 stroke, fuel injection and you will be a happy camper. Good luck on your purchase
P.S. I do miss all you guy's
It's good to hear from you..man it's been a long time...Im leaving tomorrow for the KW PR, picking boat up at Nortech then over to the A.T. Plant...drop boat off and then head to Riveria Beach FL..to the Albury Brothers plant to check on Sandy's 23 CC boat we are having then build us one. Very excited on that, thats what I needed the outboard for...Ill have to check out Honda and see if we have a close dealer near by..Thanks Jeff

Quick Reply: Who Makes The Most Reliable Outboards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.