Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who Makes The Most Reliable Outboards (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172371-who-makes-most-reliable-outboards.html)

Jassman 11-01-2007 02:11 PM

Who Makes The Most Reliable Outboards

Not trying to start a brand war, but am looking for the most trouble free, best warranty in the business. Looking in the twin 140-150 size or single 225,250 or possibly 300. This will be for a 23 CC for Sandy and the kids. This boat will be Primarily used for fishing, but skiing and tubing will be used on weekends. Thanks for the help. Jeff

Brad 11-01-2007 02:26 PM

I have had a Yamaha F150 for three years. Just add gas , change the oil and drive fulid occasionally. Everyone I know that has Yamaha 4strokes love them. I think Suzuki has the best warranty.

Panther 11-01-2007 02:28 PM

Unfortunately people are very loyal to certain brands so I don't think you'll get a very accurate depiction...may as well ask mechanics around the local boat yards instead of the OB owners....

Just my opinion!

Magic Medicine 11-01-2007 02:40 PM

Evinrude has made a great splash with their etec motors. If I were in the market I would give them a look.

FeverMike 11-01-2007 03:09 PM

From what I read all over the boating sections on the fishing forums in that HP range it's between Mercury and Yamaha. Mercury has a 5 year warranty right now!

BobbyB 11-01-2007 03:58 PM

I like both Honda and Yamaha i think they do a great job. And both are offering extended warranties right now. I think between Honda and Yamaha its kind of like Ford vs Chevy. Just my 2cents

RHC 11-01-2007 04:07 PM

Jassman ,,, I think you have to look past the question of what is best ,,, Is is more important to me to have a good service dealer that is big enough to get the Manufacture's attention when I do have a problem ,,, I don't want to hear that I have to wait ,, I want to hear ,, the warranty will cover it , the parts are on the way ,, you will be back on the water by the weekend. that's why in my area I choose Mercury,, so far so good 55 maint free hours with 5 1/2 years left on my warranty . :cool:

RHC

RHC 11-01-2007 04:17 PM

Jassman ,,, I think you have to look past the question of what is best ,,, Is is more important to me to have a good service dealer that is big enough to get the Manufacture's attention when I do have a problem ,,, I don't want to hear that I have to wait ,, I want to hear ,, the warranty will cover it , the parts are on the way ,, you will be back on the water by the weekend. that's why in my area I choose Mercury,, so far so good 55 maint free hours with 5 1/2 years left on my warranty . :cool:

RHC

donzimanva 11-01-2007 04:54 PM

Merc

Run twin 225 Merc Opti's on my charter center console. 1000 trouble free hours so far. Start 'em and they run all day and then they're stopped at the dock when I bring the customer's home. Gas and oil, (and not much oil I might add). Also, regular maintenance parts and service is easy to come by. I broke, (my fault - not the motor), a throttle position sensor and the shop at the marina had them in stock. Service and support are very important. I've heard kinda bad things about after sales support from Yamaha, (the other outboard common in my area).

Jassman 11-01-2007 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by RHC (Post 2324681)

RHC

Thats a good point.. I will have to check with eric at Mid Stream Marine