Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research >

Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research

Notices

Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research

Old 11-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research

Just found this forum through a gent who found and bought a classic aluminum offshore boat (thread in classic forum).

I have a real speed gene somewhere in me and have wanted for years to make a deep-vee offshore boat from aluminum alloy. 34', 24 degree deadrise, lots power, etc...

Until I found this great forum i couldn't really get any information on aluminum offshores since all of the forums I knew of were focused on fiberglass boats (CC, Pilothouse, etc) but not "Go fast" boats.

Anyone on here who has pictures, history, links I would appreciate any and all.

We're in the process of finalizing the design of a 34' offshore CC and will be building a couple of prototypes this winter.

I think that we could learn a lot from you folks...

Sincerely,

Jay Perrotta
President and Owner
Black Lab Plate Alloy Boats
Rock Salt Boats
Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Search the forums for Liquid Technolgy
Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Registered

Jay
Good luck on your project! Do you have any schematics or basic drawings of your boat? It would be interesting to see what you are doing! Are you going to use honeycomb panels or use ribs? Did you see the unfinished alluminum project on this website? I think it was 40 ft and built with honeycomb bottom, lots of room inside. I think they are trying to sell it? It is a beautifull boat.
jim
Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay, I saw your boat at the Annapolis show. Looks like you build a really nice, tough boat. Good luck on your project and please keep us informed, innovation in the sport lives here
Old 11-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies - appreciated.

F311 - The liquid Technology boat was amazing - couldn't find a website for the company - any ideas?

1965 Thunderbird - New boat's first look:

Marylandmark - With guys going 100 miles offshore fishing seems like you might want to spend less time running and more time fishing.

Insptech - Innovation. Just finding this forum is like finding a treasure. There is so much information and knowledge here - amazing. I'm just doing a lot of reading - thank you for the kind words on the boats. Certainly not beautiful or excessively fast but not meant to be. I have a bad speed gene in me (probably the Italian) and have the desire to do go far, go fast, over the horizon series of boats.

Again any information or pictures of classic or current aluminum offshore powerboats would be greatly appreciated.

Jay Perrotta
President
Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hy-Lite Powerboats Inc." Custom Aluminum Powerboats" in Leamington , Ontario, Canada have made some High Performance Offshore Powerboats from aluminum and have used the services of World Renowned Boat designer Michael Peters. You can view their web-site and read what they have done with aluminum. www.hy-litepowerboats.com
Old 11-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 630 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Alu boats from the Land of the Vikings.

There's quite a few alu performance manufacturers in my home country Sweden. Here's a few of the ones I like. Hope they'll give You some inspiration. I also include a couple of pictures from the very successful Boghammar Marin, they built small alu racing boats in the mid 60's. They had a 34 degree transom but because the engines got mounted so low in the hull the actually had very good stability believe it or not. If they hadn't got engine trouble they would have done well in the Bahama 500 race that the 32' alu Thunderbird won, now they had to retire. That little boat could go through anything. They built it from 5mm alu and they are actually in process to restore it. See the pictures.
http://www.vectormarine.se/indexeng.html

http://www.anytec.se/sub/boats/eng/index.shtm

I really like the Anytec 960 CAB
http://www.anytec.se/sub/boats/eng/960cab.shtm

The Vector 28 is also a very good riding one.
http://www.vectormarine.se/28fceng.html
Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research-1967-01-speedy-gonzales.jpg   Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research-1967-05-01-boghammar-i-bahama-500.jpg   Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research-speedy03-speedy-gonzales.jpg  

Last edited by larslindroth; 11-24-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: One more link
Old 11-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 630 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Alu high tech.

Forgot to post the link to Dockstavarvet. They do all the high end vessels for the Swedish State. Most of their vessels are built in alu. Other more exotic materials are incorporated for the military spec boats. The most famous is the 90 series fighting vessel.
http://www.dockstavarvet.se/index2.p...ubpage=summary

First picture below is from Boghammar. It was a high speed recognasence vessel. A delivery of these were sold to Iran before the revolution, but unfortunately for us Americans the new regime used these as high speed attack boats on our ships in the Persian Gulf. The 27' Magnum that Boghammar bought and got the right to produce got longer and longer and You can see the 35' below, however those where allways fiberglas boats.
Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research-post-5-1148845689-boghammar-iranian-boat.jpg   Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research-post-5-1133784967-boghammar-magnum-35.jpg   Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research-cb90brazil.jpg  

Old 11-25-2007, 02:08 AM
1CE
Registered

Default nick named tin boats

Originally Posted by blacklabmarine
Just found this forum through a gent who found and bought a classic aluminum offshore boat (thread in classic forum).

I have a real speed gene somewhere in me and have wanted for years to make a deep-vee offshore boat from aluminum alloy. 34', 24 degree deadrise, lots power, etc...

Until I found this great forum i couldn't really get any information on aluminum offshores since all of the forums I knew of were focused on fiberglass boats (CC, Pilothouse, etc) but not "Go fast" boats.

Anyone on here who has pictures, history, links I would appreciate any and all.

We're in the process of finalizing the design of a 34' offshore CC and will be building a couple of prototypes this winter.

I think that we could learn a lot from you folks...

Sincerely,

Jay Perrotta
President and Owner
Rock Salt Boats
Jay, My name is Jay also and I love Maine too. I live in MA spent some schooling years in Maine and frequent the Sebago area. Anyways if you want some great info on aluminum hulls get in touch with some of the most informed experts on OSO. I hope they will not mind me suggesting them. User names: Black Tornado,littlenige,Ryan Beckley and 7Xchamp to name a few. This group knows their stuff and lots of history too ! Or ck.under some posts: "What happened to all the TIN boats, Cougar 41",and others. Ask about Cougars and CUV hulls to name 2 among others or ask about "Chairman of the Board" or some of Al Copland's race boats. Cats are the rage now. Why not build 1 or 2 diff. lengths. Would sure be cool. Best of luck, Jay 33 Sutphen offshore hull twin all Merlin 540's 625hp nat. aspirated.

Last edited by 1CE; 11-26-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=blacklabmarine;2326449]Thanks for the replies - appreciated.

F311 - The liquid Technology boat was amazing - couldn't find a website for the company - any ideas?

Here you go. call and ask for Wayne or Bob 541.660.1443

http://www.riverwildboats.com/racing.html

Quick Reply: Aluminum Offshore Boats - Research

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.