Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a used boat.  What do you expect?? >

Buying a used boat. What do you expect??

Notices

Buying a used boat. What do you expect??

Old 11-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OSO
It depends on what I am paying for it.

It seems like everyone is always trying to "steal" everything.

If thats the case, then the lower the price the more of a gamble you take.

In a perfect world there would be full disclosure but that is probably not happening.

HEAR HEAR

Well said.......there are boats in new condition (used) and then there are used boats (really used) and then there are new boats that look like there used......................AND then there are new boats that are new.

2 boats ago, I wanted one that was in Florida....now Floridians look at boats differently that me. They leave them sit outside, uncovered, opened to the world....hatches, motors, electronics and all. NEW boats and when you look at them, they are filled with water (from the rain and what not) dirty and all. They just say...it will dry and wash up.

Me, I'm anal...it if isn't right...I make it right or have someone make it right. a great majority of the time, when I sell something......it's better than when I bought!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I HATE liars and thieves!!!!
I here ya, I'm the same way. When I sold my last boat, I gave the new buyer all the nitty gritty details of the boats history. Nothing bad, but I want to be honest and he really appreciated it.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I look until I find one that looks like new. Won't consider one that needs work more than a good buffing. When we went to look at my last boat, it was kept in a heated garage, on CARPETING and the interior had sheets all over it. While we were looking at it, my wife and the owner were sitting in the cabin, when the owner mentioned that was the 1st time she ever sat in there without sheets. We bought it right then and there! An older couple, anal as can be. That's who I like to buy from.

They're out there, just got find them.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 11-03-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=enticer;2326489]HEAR HEAR

2 boats ago, I wanted one that was in Florida....now Floridians look at boats differently that me. They leave them sit outside, uncovered, opened to the world....hatches, motors, electronics and all. NEW boats and when you look at them, they are filled with water (from the rain and what not) dirty and all. They just say...it will dry and wash up.

wow,gross generalization,my boat sits indoors on a rack that cost more than the boat.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Registered

I follow the same rule that works with cars. Figure out a budget and look at as many you can find within that budget. Then buy the best one (mechanical and appearance) within that budget. The one time I did not follow this was the only Porsche I've bought that did not sell for more then I paid (slightly over 20). That includes service/repair bills paid out.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A used boat is just that, used. All that means is chit is gonna happen and its gonna cost money. Period.

I bought a one year old cat, 5 hrs later i bought a drive rebuild. Thats the way it goes. No one KNEW the drive would toss its teeth in 5 hours. It wasn't new so I sure couldn't expect warranty. Thats just the way it goes.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker
A used boat is just that, used. All that means is chit is gonna happen and its gonna cost money. Period.

I bought a one year old cat, 5 hrs later i bought a drive rebuild. Thats the way it goes. No one KNEW the drive would toss its teeth in 5 hours. It wasn't new so I sure couldn't expect warranty. Thats just the way it goes.
I bought a new cat and in 4 years put 8 drives in it....it's the nature of the beast and how it is driven. (A new drive each time)...rebuilds don't last long on a cat....they don't like being IN water
Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered

Lets not forget that some owners just want to get out from under the boat. It does not mean someone is stealing the boat. I might low ball you because of my budget,gas prices and insurance all you have to do is say NO, or counter. Just because a guy asks 50k does not mean he wont take 40. Sometimes just moving on is cheaper then waiting for top dollar. Now if you owe money on the boat then thats pretty much your bottom line. Considering where gas prices are now I would think sellers with guzzlers know to expect low offers now. When I purchase used I just ask that everything works when I take delivery so there are no surprises when I take something broke only to find out this is going to be alot more involved then I thought($$$$).
Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay...now for a real-live novice buyer to chime in...

I just purchased my first boat (older Sunsation Dominator- will be bringing it home next weekend ). The boat is located several hours from home. Prior to even looking, I advised the seller that my price ceiling was well below his asking price. I politely explained that I wasn't trying to low-ball him. It was just budget is budget and I didn't want to waste anyone's time. As stated earlier, I figured he'd just say no and I'd move on. Turns out he wanted to unload and we agreed on a tentative price.

I took an experienced friend (and no...I'm not an idiot. This is the same guy whose going to be teaching me what I need to know about operating this machine! ) and drove down to look at it. Not even including it's age, this boat was immaculate; minus the requisite couple of quirks. Very well cared for and the agreed upon price was WELL below market. Obviously, a survey was in order...and that's when the seller started looking a little nervous.

Survery uncovered a small hull crack with some likely internal delam. I called various glass shops and got a WIDE selection of estimates and ways to go about the repair. After these conversations and a few more with my surveyor, I was able to get a better approximate understanding of what the level of severity was with this issue.

I contacted the seller and he stated the price we agreed on was his bottom line...period. With all information in hand, I made my decision to purchase and repair based on value of the boat vs cost of repair vs selling price.

So home and direct to the glass shop it goes. The way I looked at it, and as someone stated earlier, these are used performance machines...not Chevy Malibu's. When someone is that willing to move, you should always expect something to pop up. Under the tamest conditions, these machines face a tough existence....things break. Everything else on the boat "seems" in good working order. However, I've learned fast with these machines that it's often a "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" mindset that's required if you're going to enjoy your purchase.

Cheers! Hope to meet many new friends this coming summer!

Last edited by Ryan8886; 11-04-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying a used boat. What do you expect??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.