Image Stabilization Binoculars

Notices

Image Stabilization Binoculars

Old 11-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Image Stabilization Binoculars

I wish to purchase image stabilization binoculars for use on our boat and for viewing boat traffic in a distant main channel from our dock.

What would you buy and why?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Anybody?

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
I wish to purchase image stabilization binoculars for use on our boat and for viewing boat traffic in a distant main channel from our dock.

What would you buy and why?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Binocs are like boats. Do you want Bayliner or do you want Outer Limits? You definitely don't need something mil-spec, plus they're in the 5 grand range. $500 will buy you a nice canon. $750 to a grand or so gets you Nikon or Fuji. Zeiss is also a good name. Nikon will have the best service. Zeiss isn't what they used to be but still a great product. They'll probably be the brightest of all in their price range (light transfer or optics loss).

None of these will take being tossed onto the floor of your boat- they're non-armored optics. Not that they won't take some bumps, they just need some care.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thank you for your reply Chris.

I'm looking in the $1-2K range. Getting mixed info with my research. One shop says Nikon optics the best, another that Fujion stabilization the only one that will work correctly in a boat... And Canon has an 18X that would be best for viewing the distant channel from the dock.

I'm starting to think maybe 2 different binoculars might be the best approach. Canon 18X image stabilization for viewing the distant channel on the dock and lower cost 8X or 10X binoculars without stabilization for the boat.

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Binocs are like boats. Do you want Bayliner or do you want Outer Limits? You definitely don't need something mil-spec, plus they're in the 5 grand range. $500 will buy you a nice canon. $750 to a grand or so gets you Nikon or Fuji. Zeiss is also a good name. Nikon will have the best service. Zeiss isn't what they used to be but still a great product. They'll probably be the brightest of all in their price range (light transfer or optics loss).

None of these will take being tossed onto the floor of your boat- they're non-armored optics. Not that they won't take some bumps, they just need some care.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
Thank you for your reply Chris.

I'm looking in the $1-2K range. Getting mixed info with my research. One shop says Nikon optics the best, another that Fujion stabilization the only one that will work correctly in a boat... And Canon has an 18X that would be best for viewing the distant channel from the dock.

I'm starting to think maybe 2 different binoculars might be the best approach. Canon 18X image stabilization for viewing the distant channel on the dock and lower cost 8X or 10X binoculars without stabilization for the boat.
There are different types of approaches on image stabilization. Zeiss uses on least suitable for marine use.

The Nikon is an excellent piece. Fujinon has some killer units but they're VERY expensive- like 5 grand. They're remarkable though. The Techno-Stabi is about $750 and really nice. Probably better armored than the Nikon marine unit.

For dock viewing, I'd use a monocular- like a spotting scope. You'll get better distance and reliability Use it with a tripod or even a monopod.

If It were me, I'd buy the Fuji's.