Notices

Ilmor engines

Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ilmor engines

Anyone have any experience going from Merc power to Ilmors and have some feedback? 200 pounds lighter per engine make a difference in handling, speed, acceleration, etc? Can this be done by simply pulling out power and dropping new engines in or does it require some modifications??

Last edited by cullen_11; 11-05-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

From our experience it requires some mods. We wanted to go from a Mercury 525 to an ILMOR 625 in a new F-26. All the hook-ups and rigging are opposite. Meaning everything on the right of a Merc is on the left of an ILMOR.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Default Ilmor info

I've had my Ilmor 710 since May, 55 hours. I had a 525 Merc and then a 950HP Whipple BBC. My feeling is that the Ilmor is is a large cut above in build quality. Just looking at the V-10 and the way it is set up will help confirm this. Secondly, I can run the 710 at 6250 rpm for an hour, slow down to 30 mph, pull into a marina, and idle at 700 rpm.

Additionally, I am not replacing drives. The 950 used a drive every 15 or 20 hours of hard running. The thing sounds wonderful, its turn-key and I am not tempted to mess with it to test several of my faulty theories. That has been a problem for me with most of my engines.

Whatever the process to put an Ilmore in your boat, its worth it. I'll buy the next generation as soon as it comes out. Penske does not fool around. Best of luck. Quent
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an extension loom available if needed for the pin connector, just thought i'd throw that in there. Our website has drawings and specs for installation I believe. I also think we have some slightly used horses around in a few colors, if interested i could find out what we have.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Quent
I've had my Ilmor 710 since May, 55 hours. I had a 525 Merc and then a 950HP Whipple BBC. My feeling is that the Ilmor is is a large cut above in build quality. Just looking at the V-10 and the way it is set up will help confirm this. Secondly, I can run the 710 at 6250 rpm for an hour, slow down to 30 mph, pull into a marina, and idle at 700 rpm.

Additionally, I am not replacing drives. The 950 used a drive every 15 or 20 hours of hard running. The thing sounds wonderful, its turn-key and I am not tempted to mess with it to test several of my faulty theories. That has been a problem for me with most of my engines.

Whatever the process to put an Ilmore in your boat, its worth it. I'll buy the next generation as soon as it comes out. Penske does not fool around. Best of luck. Quent
Thanks for the input, appreciate it. Few questions – what drives are you running? You got a little more juice than I have, or would be looking at, but still not getting many responses here so anything helps. No secret my boat is for sale, but if I can’t unload it, I want to upgrade. Thinking the 625’s would do the trick but I hear about the torque ripping up drives. Have heard if I do the XR upgrade from Teaque they might last?? Any experience with that? No offense ILMOR, but I like to get the opinion of the boys on the board as well…
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered

Do your research man, get some opinions. You know what we got and where to get it. Let me know either way, maybe I can help ya.

PS. Quent is one of our biggest supporters, Thanks!!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Default Ilmor drives

Cullen, my drive is an IMCO Xtreme Advantage, intergal steering, 1:5 ratio, 28P B1. I can tell you from previous experience that this drive is not much stronger than a Bravo XR when it comes to handling touque. My 950 ate one in less than 2 hours. However, this IMCO setup with a shortie has worked perfectly on my boat, a 24 Laveycraft. I don't feel that the Ilmor is as hard on the drive, regardless of make, since the torque comes on at a much higher rpm.

I used to cruise at 3500 rpm in my cat, just where my 950 was at max torque. That is not good. The Ilmor is at max torque at 4800. I never get to that rpm getting on plane or cruising giving me longer drive life. At least thats the theory. So far so good.

Look at the October 2007 issue of Hot Boat under the bowriders test section for the Laveycraft. Quent

Last edited by Quent; 11-05-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Can anyone say anything about the IMCO drive under development?

That and the 710 would be a very interesting package.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

I have been told(don't know if I believe it) the Ilmors don't work well on big heavy v's? Anyone care to give your expert oso opinion?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered

Sorry I meant Ilmor drive.

Quick Reply: Ilmor engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.