Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fogging EFI Motors, anyone mess up sensors? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/172767-fogging-efi-motors-anyone-mess-up-sensors.html)

wrasse 11-07-2007 01:13 AM

Fogging EFI Motors, anyone mess up sensors?

Reading up on fogging my 496HO motor, I've read those who say just to spray fogging oil directly into the throttle body and some who say that's crazy because it'll mess up the sensors.

The mechanic that just winterized my boat just sprayed fogging oil into the throttle body to fog it saying that's how he's always done it for EFI motors and there have been no issues.

So who's right? Any real bad fogging experiences?

Pwrbt33 11-07-2007 06:36 AM

We have never sprayed fog into a dry intake, just wet intakes like carbed motors. Thats the way Mercury taught us to do it so thats the way its been done for years. Dry intake meaning anything with fuel injectors in the intake runners, wet meaning anything with a throttle body or carb. Everybody does it different so I cant say if he'swrong or right. You'll get hundreds of different responces on whats right or wrong.Good luck.

Macklin 11-07-2007 06:38 AM

My mechanic said and did the same thing with my HO's. No issues over the years except I did have an IAC valve go bad. Who knows if it was related. It was the middle of summer when that happened.

But, I will be going with 2 cycle oil in the separator for my 525's.

CIG3 11-07-2007 07:13 AM

I've heard of guys putting ATF in the fuel filter and running the engine to winterize. Not sure if this is ideal either.

Brad Zastrow 11-07-2007 09:53 AM

I have always been told not to spray a dry EFI throttle body. You are leaving an oil film on the sensors and and throttle body. I have read that the correct method is pull the fuel seperator and drain off half and fill with two stroke oil and run the engine for a few minutes.

yesrej 11-07-2007 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2329574)
I have always been told not to spray a dry EFI throttle body. You are leaving an oil film on the sensors and and throttle body. I have read that the correct method is pull the fuel seperator and drain off half and fill with two stroke oil and run the engine for a few minutes.

thats the way i was told to do it so thats the way i do did.

berns29scarab 11-07-2007 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2329574)

+1

Sydwayz 11-07-2007 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33 (Post 2329425)
We have never sprayed fog into a dry intake, just wet intakes like carbed motors. Thats the way Mercury taught us to do it so thats the way its been done for years. Dry intake meaning anything with fuel injectors in the intake runners, wet meaning anything with a throttle body or carb. Everybody does it different so I cant say if he'swrong or right. You'll get hundreds of different responces on whats right or wrong.Good luck.

John has been a mechanic/friend of mine for years, and his word/advice has never let me down.

Pull the fuel/water separator. Why half-ass it?

*Also, replace your fuel/water separator in the spring.*

4mulafastech 11-07-2007 12:53 PM

This is what Mercury says...

According to the MerCruiser Operation and Maintenance Manual for MX 6.2 MPI's (fuel injected) they recommend mixing 5 gallons of fuel, 2 quarts of TC-W3 outboard oil, and 5 ounces of Fuel System Treatment (802875A1) together. I cut the recipe in half and mix in a 3 gallon fuel tank. Connect this tank to the fuel inlet and run at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes. 2-1/2 gallons of fuel is PLENTY to fog two engines.

I too have heard it is a no-no to fog thru the throttle body due to possible sensor damage(?)...

baja bailey 11-09-2007 10:35 AM

My mechanic runs the efi motors on a mixture like 4mulafastech talks about, not sure it is the exact formula of things or not though. I have always heard no fogging efi thru throttlebody also?